WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I'm new to the forum so I apologize, if this is not the place to post this question. So, I bought this watch at a flea market the other day for $15. I realized when I got home the back-case was not really shut properly, so I popped it open with my finger. (see the pics) From what I can see, it says "PC21S" (not sure what the "S" is for), writing says "Singapore No Jewels". So, I'm thinking it's a fake? the watch is actually keeping time pretty well. The back of the case looks suspicious, the number on it is "8888", though I can't seem to find any Swiss army watch like that. From the styling it looks similar to the Victorinox Cavalry..maybe) The face is a glow-in-the dark, seems to work fine. A few questions:

1) Is the whole thing fake, or just the movement, and the back? Is the case or the dial real?
2) I really like the case and dial, is it possible for me to get a correct movement installed? What movement is appropriate for this watch?
3) If it is partially real, what model is this? Or is fake...what model is it trying to copy?

Any other information or comment would be appreciated, thanks!

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Clock Measuring instrument
Motor vehicle Coin Souvenir Currency Nickel
Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Rectangle
Watch Analog watch Clock Silver Material property

·
Registered
499 Posts
I'm not to up to date on these watches, but they're a relatively low cost watch. It's prob a waste for anyone to counterfeit one. That being said, for 15 bucks it looks good to me. I wouldn't worry about the "movement" in one of those guys to much. If you like it, wear it in good health as they say...

·
Premium Member
6,203 Posts
Nice photos - welcome to WTF :thumbup1:.
Don't know much about Swiss Army, but that looks fake to me for the following reasons:
1. The dial says water resistant 300m, but the case back says 300ft (big difference). I can't imaging a watch that style being 300m WR. (does it have a screw in crown?)
2. The quartz movement looks a bit cheap. I would expect something a bit more professionally presented/branded. It looks much too generic.
3. The engraving on the back also looks unprofessional - not deep or clear enough.
4. Might just be my eyes, but the engraving on the back looks like it has the word 'brano' instead of 'brand'

Based on number 1. alone, I'd say it's a fake.
Swiss Army make some nice models, and they're not too expensive. If you like the one you got for $15, it might pay to hunt around for a real one (I don't know if it's based on an actual style - let Google/Bing be your friend and see what you can find). At least that way you will be supporting the Swiss Army brand and not a Chinese counterfeiter, and you'll get a watch that should handle water to the depth on the dial, unlike the one you have now.
Good luck with the hunt if you do decide to 'upgrade' - let us know if you find something.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for all the responses... Kind of what I feared.
So, lesson learned... What should I do with it now? See, the thing is, I actually make leather bracelets (thin and cuff-style..you know like rocker/60's style) and my idea was to make one with the watch, to sell. But I'm not really feeling like selling to a customer, if they are assuming it's "real", not going to do business like that.
Do I have it for sale, but then tell customers "FYI, it's not really Swiss Army"... or throw it out, keep it for parts, maybe make a "steam-punk" style leather bracelet using the metal case (no real watch), I suppose I could wear it as a "demo" of my work, not for sale.

Time to look online for some "real" watches to pair with my leather cuffs.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
it may be real but a franken (put together from several sources. The watch case and dial look real and as already stated these models are not worth faking.
It may have had a bad movement and it was replaced and also as said the back doesn't match the front
These watches are usually very good quality and an excellent value
In your case I suggest you go ahead with your strap and just use it as a model and if you sell it just be truthful in your ad and state you are not sure about it and give the detail.

·
Super Moderator
16,558 Posts
I'm with Muttley.
In addition, most of the ones I've found say VICTORINOX right under the 12 without the words SWISS ARMY. On the few that do, the "SWISS ARMY" is of a different font and it doesn't take up as much real estate. None of them print their water resistance on the dial above the 6.
Whatever you decide, good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah... I don't know, on eBay I've seen several older versions that seem like they match the dial off this one. Here is an example I found, it is apparently a Malboro Promotion watch or something:

Antique Vintage Swiss Army Calvary Watch Marlboro Promo 3888 Leather Canvas | eBay

You can see the case/dial markings are pretty close, except the date window. Also, the back is similar too, except the imprint is nicer (more pronounced), and the "3888" code is legit Victorinox code...my 8888 is not.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I think it's an Asian made watch by some nameless company. Similiar to the Swiss Army knives made by Wenger and Victorinox. Once their knives became popular, Asian made cheap knives began appearing copying Wenger and Victorinox Swiss Army knives and calling themselves Swiss Army as well. And I can remember seeing cheap watches calling themselves Swiss Army too.

·
Premium Member
6,203 Posts
I think it's an Asian made watch by some nameless company. Similiar to the Swiss Army knives made by Wenger and Victorinox. Once their knives became popular, Asian made cheap knives began appearing copying Wenger and Victorinox Swiss Army knives and calling themselves Swiss Army as well. And I can remember seeing cheap watches calling themselves Swiss Army too.
You're right. For some reason I was thinking it was a Victorinox knock-off. I think Victorinox own the 'Swiss Army' name, so their watches are Victorinox Swiss Army watches (Victorinox make the Swiss Army knife).
I could be wrong on this so if anyone knows any more, feel free to correct me.

·
Super Moderator
16,558 Posts
You're not wrong, it's just not the full story. The "Swiss Army" title is used by whoever has the production contract from the Swiss government at any given time.
It was first used by a German cutlery company until Karl Elsener Cutlery (later to renamed Victorinox) got the contract in 1891. Then in 1893 Paul Boechat & Cie (later to become Wenger) got its first Swiss contract. The two companies shared the rights to the usage of "Swiss Army". Therefore you can technically call either one Swiss Army and you'd be correct! Then in 2005 Victorinox acquired Wenger.

·
Registered
3 Posts
As others have said, the case and dial may well be original but the movement has probably been replaced at some point. I have definitely seen similar watches in brochures and magazines from a while ago (1990s?) As far as I am aware all VSA watches have Swiss movements, although other components may be sourced in the Far East for assembly in Switzerland.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well . considering the number of 'Swiss made' watch parts that are outsourced to Asia, it hardly matters what you have.No victorinox watches are made in ch anyway :)
As far as I am aware, all VSA watches are assembled and tested in Switzerland and fitted with a Swiss-made Ronda or ETA movement. Many of the components used in manufacture are of course imported from the Far East, e.g. straps, bracelets, cases, crystals, but this will vary from model to model. This is common practice, particularly at the lower end of the market but by no means exclusively so.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.