WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This just ended, never heard of Elgin making the watch in a size 12?
Someone paid alot for this?
s-l1600 (1).jpg
image_2020-11-23_193324.jpg

·
Registered
366 Posts
Would need to see the case inside and out, the movement at the rear to make any kind of real guess. One of the guys in the NAWCC wrote a complete book on Elgin military watches a while back.

·
Super Moderator
5,698 Posts
There is a thread in this forum started ( i think) by member 'literustyfan' that talked about the size 12 Elgins of this era. I know its here because i looked at it a few nights ago. I'll look for it again when i have a few minutes

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I'm only seeing one picture, the dial. Need a bit more than that.

Yes, the IWCCo did in fact make two size 12 trench watch models.

The octagon Admiral Evans and the square Admiral Benson, both have come across my bench.

The Crown Watch Company also made a 12s trench watch, gold filled RED 12.

They are incredibly difficult to come by.

If this is a 12s with an Avigo dial it's not the real deal, probably some sort of a Ukraine Special.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Yep................Ukraine Special.

Unfortunately many in recent weeks have been buying fake watches like this for big money.

I can think of two others that we discussed on another platform, one Illinois and one Waltham.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I have found ALL 10 of the "Admiral & General" trench watch cases in the series from the Illinois Watch Case Company.

Took me a full DECADE to find and document all 10 of them!

If you want to take a look they on catalogued on my webpage in the "Trench Watch Photo Archive" section of the page, LRF Antique Watches.

Regular and Offset Crown Admiral Benson, General Joffre, Admiral Evans and the General Funston, plus the two 12s watches.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts