WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,814 Posts
Great collection!!! I Really like the RR approved, either 214 or 218. I have just one 214 RRA and love it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks for your comments. :thumbup1:

Wow! RR 218-0. The 0 at 12 :thumbup1: This must be a very rare RR.
I've seen a few on eBay in the last year or so. One was gold plate and didn't sell, and another was on the site for many months at varying prices. I last saw it offered for $550, but it was absolutely beautiful and had recently been restored.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
WOW, that's a great set of RR approved watches. You could also add one without the red numbers inside the black numbers. It appears that you have been careful to get ones in very nice condition.
That Mark IV has to be rare.

·
Banned
605 Posts
An honest question here. I like the idea and look (espc. 24hr dials...) of RR's but would only buy one to wear one. I've bought older smaller watches before and as lovely as they look up close, on my longer frame they look silly and I don't ever wear them. My fear is I'll spend $300 (edit $300 - $800) on a RR and not want to wear it because it looks a bit toyish on a long limb.

I don't buy watches to put in a box, so it has to look good on a wrist in whatever way that works for you.

I'm interested in others experiences with wearable RR's

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
An honest question here. I like the idea and look (espc. 24hr dials...) of RR's but would only buy one to wear one. I've bought older smaller watches before and as lovely as they look up close, on my longer frame they look silly and I don't ever wear them. My fear is I'll spend $300 (edit $300 - $800) on a RR and not want to wear it because it looks a bit toyish on a long limb.

I don't buy watches to put in a box, so it has to look good on a wrist in whatever way that works for you.

I guess that's pretty much a personal preference. My wrist is average size and I buy "regular length" bands. My watch sizes range from older, small vintage to modern large of 45+ mm diameter. The very large watches do look VERY LARGE on my wrist but I don't really care. A friend really wants a Precisionist but won't buy one because of their large size. For him, the Accutrons and smaller are his choice. I have a few 23J & 30J Bulovas that are, generally, slightly smaller than the 214 RR. On my wrist they feel almost weightless compared to larger watches. Some days I like to wear them for that reason. I don't wear my watches tight on my wrist. I prefer a little breathing room between the watch & band and my wrist. Not sloppy loose, just a little play. I only have 2 vintage watches with Twist-O-Flex bands and they aren't worn very often. On one, I might replace that band with a vintage link band if I ever find the proper one.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and that seem to hold true to watch sizes also. I have a 7 1/2 inch wrist which is probably about average and I don't feel comfortable with anything over 40mm. I recently bought a SS 100th Anniversary model but it has been relegated to the watch case because it just isn't comfortable to wear.

Getting back to the OP, I think the basis of your collection, specializing in a specific model, would be fun and that you have chosen a good one in which to specialize.

·
Banned
605 Posts
Out of interest the whole "Railroad Approved" thing seemed to become a bit of a way to flog stuff at the end, yeah?? Other brands had the same branding/accreditation I believe? But when it started you could understand it's importance. Life and Death.

·
Premium Member
5,814 Posts

Interesting comment! The Spaceviews & RR Accutrons are on the smaller side as far as diameter goes but not bad. My arms are not big but for some reason I have a 7 1/2" wrist and the RR & Spaceviews are about as small as I go with diameter but I would put them in a category of normal size when talking about old school watches. Today's monster width watches just don't do anything for me and look way out of place on some people. My friend on the other-hand has a smaller wrist and is not comfortable wearing a larger faced watch(38mm+) and the RR watches look more normal on his wrist. 35mm-38mm is the average size watch I wear. I have 2 Pulsars with the buttons that those 40mm wide. Thats a big watch to me but many of todays watches are way bigger then that.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.