WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I have decided to purchase an Omega Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch. I believe it is model number 3570.50.00. (Hesalite crystal, steel back, with bracelet.) I have a few questions that I hope you guys can help me with.

How do I find an authorized dealer that is willing to negotiate on the price? I went to two dealers in the Los Angeles area, and they looked down their noses at me when I asked if the price was negotiable. I have read that I should be able to get a 30% discount. Is this true? Do you have authorized dealers that you prefer to work with?

What should come in the box with the watch? I have heard of missing warranty cards, manuals, etc. I feel that I need to know because the dealers don't always know. (They don't necessarily even know the product they are selling. The "senior sales associate" I spoke to at one of the dealers told me that the Speedy Pro is an automatic watch.:huh: When I hesitantly said "I don't think so," he said "Oh, sorry, chronograph, it's quartz." :glare: I then began to wind the watch.) Needless to say, I have no trust in the dealers that I have spoken to.

Thanks in advance for your assistance. I have wanted this watch for a long time.

Jason

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Your AD experience is why I've dealt with the same dealer over the years

He knows his stuff! Not only does he have the knowledge, he's willing to share his experience and help you make the right decision.

As to what will be included with your "automatic, quartz, kenetic, solar powered" Speedmaster Professional? Expect to receive inner and outer boxes, two red plastic cards (warranty and pictogram), card wallet, large all inclusive manual, and hangtag. The outer box should also have a sticker with the model and movement number. At least this is what my AD provides.

The Speedy Pro is a great choice!

Fr. John+

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
Hello Jason

A warm welcome to WTF and OMEGALand. Very pleased to see you here and that you're hankering after a Speedy Pro. I'm sorry you've not had the best of experiences with the ADs near you. Fr John and Wally's recommended source will provide you with a world of difference.

Hope you'll be able to join us on a daily basis and share in the talk and fun we enjoy here.

Wish you well in your hunt

Be well now

ZIN

·
Registered
129 Posts
I feel that I need to know because the dealers don't always know. (They don't necessarily even know the product they are selling. The "senior sales associate" I spoke to at one of the dealers told me that the Speedy Pro is an automatic watch.:huh: When I hesitantly said "I don't think so," he said "Oh, sorry, chronograph, it's quartz." :glare: I then began to wind the watch.) Needless to say, I have no trust in the dealers that I have spoken to.

Jason

hi jason,

boy oh boy, i have experienced this many times and wonder sometimes why i am not selling watches:D

when you find a knowledgeable and fair ad, stick with them!

i know it is not easy for all salespeople to be up to date on all brands, but i think they should have a little more patience when a potential client comes in with knowledge and educates them.

this just happened yesterday when i was looking at an oris artelier complication and disagreed w/ the salesman about the 24 hr / 2nd time zone.

he insisted it was to just show the current military time, but i pointed out while advancing the time manually that if it were for military time, why was the military time incorrect?

he said it just was not set yet..... i then pointed out that if it can be set, it is adjustable to any time you want and could be applied to any other time zone..... he "looked down his nose" and said he would check this out later but that the store was busy and did i want to purchase the watch now?

i told him i would think about it and left.

best of luck with the speedy hunt / purchase:thumbup1:

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
Well Mr Island Time

As you say, while product knowledge is certainly of importance one would not expect everyone to know about everything but common courtesy and good manners are certainly requirements which anyone coming into contact with the public should have. It's just very poor show and very short-sighted I feel. Bet you won't be buying from that dealer.

Enjoy your weekend

ZIN

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Welcome Jason

Do your own due diligence and study up on the watch you want to purchase..

It is unlikely that you will run across a salesman that knows everything about every product they sell. It's up to you to know what you want to buy..

As far as 30% off... Maybe...but don't count on that as a number to shoot for. The Omega line and especially the Speedmaster and SMP have been in demand lately. There is also a push by the parent company to lift the brand into the next must-have luxury timepiece... Look around and take your best deal..

:cool1:

·
Registered
579 Posts
In line with Island Time's comments, if I were dealing with an AD, I would insist on having the owner as my salesperson. I know that circumvents the owner's very reason for hiring salespeople, but it's a question of 'taking care of number one!'

At the wages that are typical in retail, it is likely that not too many clerks in an AD's shop are going to know very much. Sad, but a fact of life! Dealing with a clerk means that not only are you probably getting less than good information, but every deal that you seek must be cleared by the owner, to boot!

Hanging around the AD's premises for a few visits and adroit questioning, while there, will reveal the owner (unless absentee, then seek the manager), and from then on a call prior to visiting will pave the way for you to get it from 'the horse's mouth' without further complications.

It's your interest and your money that is driving the deal. You deserve the best attention that you can get! :001_smile:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts