WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there!

I’ve been a big fan of Lüm-Tec for some time , and I’m excited to say I’ve finally bought one for myself! I preordered the 300m-2 (the black PVD version) when it became available. I have a few questions I’d like to bug the experts with, if possible.

I have a smaller wrist, and have been waiting for a while for Lüm-Tec to put out a 40mm watch, so I jumped on this one right away. I have always been a bit on the conservative side with watches though, and I’m worried the 300m-2 might be a bit too flashy for me. I’ve always preferred the style of the “M Auto” range - particularly the M50/51, and the M53 Bronze.

So, my questions are:

1. How large do the M Autos wear? 44mm is getting pretty big for my wrists, but I know sometimes watches can wear/appear smaller than they are. Given the more minimal style of the M range, can any owners comment on the size and feel of these watches, relative to say, an average 42-44mm watch?

2. How durable do sapphire bezels tend to be? I’m not hard on my watches but I am slightly neurotic, and like to keep things as pristine as possible during my day-today wear.

3. I’ve owned PVD watches in the past, but never a titanium or DLC PVD. I understand they’re pretty scratch resistant. If they DO scratch, do they have a tendency to reveal the steel beneath, like some other PVD treatments?

4. I know the patina on the bronze model protects against atmosphere, water, corrosion, etc.; does it also protect from scratching and nicks? I have no experience with bronze watches or jewelry.

So, I understand from the literature in the preorder process that it’s possible to exchange preorder funds for store credit and purchase another model. Depending on the feedback I may try to purchase an M model instead. Either way I can’t wait to have one of these beauties!

Thank you all, I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

·
Registered
739 Posts
1. The M Autos measure ~52mm lug-to-lug. For me personally, how well a watch "fits" on my wrist is generally dictated by whether or not the lugs overhand the sides of my wrist while I'm wearing the watch. If you're of a similar opinion, I'd recommend measuring the width of your wrist and that'd give you a decent idea of how large the M-series case would wear on your wrist.

In general, though, I'd say the M-series case tends to wear pretty big and bold (and slightly more subdued if PVD'd).

2. I've got one dive watch in my collection with a sapphire bezel (a CREPAS Tektite) and I love it. It looks amazing, especially with a lumed backing, and it being sapphire makes it pretty difficult to scratch. Sapphire is somewhat brittle, but as long as the insert isn't protruding out from the bezel, I don't see any reason to worry about it chipping or cracking.

3. If you scratch any coating hard or deep enough, the substrate will eventually become visible. I have owned two PVD'd Lum-Tecs and both have impressed me with how durable they are, especially when compared to that of some other brands (*cough* B&R *cough*). :001_tongue:

4. The "patina" or surface oxidation that occurs on bronze watches will not have an major effect on the bronze's hardness/scratch-resistance. Bronze is a pretty soft metal so if dings, nicks, and scratches bother you a lot - bronze may not be the case material for you. What attracts a lot of us to bronze-cased watches is how easily it develops an antiqued, well worn, patina'd look and the little nicks and bruises that accompanies it just adds to the charm. :001_wub:

I hope I was of some help! Good luck with your choice and congrats on whatever you eventually decide on!

·
Premium Member
2,708 Posts
I should make a sticky out of Andrew's response! Well said my watch loving brother! :thumbup1:

Reactions: i1800collect

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I will add that I own two bronze watches and wear them in regular rotation. In fact these watches are what I wear when swimming or other sporting activities. They seem to be as "scratch resistant" as all of my other non tungsten watches. If I have any scratches I have not seen them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey thanks for the help! I appreciate all the responses.

So I'm sad to say that after following i1800collect's advice and measuring my wrists just now... I have about a 6-3/4 -> 7 inch wrist, the top being about 52-54mm wide. I guess this may be a bit small for one of the M models after all, hah.

The upcoming V7 model just caught my eye as well... though that's probably a step in the wrong direction entirely! How do those beasts wear? I assume they're longer lug->lug than the M models. They look fantastic though.

I did a little reading up on the bronze and it sounds like a very cool material choice... and some of the pics I found showcasing the patina on watches were very nice indeed.

Now I guess the choice is just whether to go for the PVD or the Stainless Steel case on that 300M! Painful to have to choose.

I'm starting to see why a number of the Lüm-Tec fans on the forum have so many of these watches in their collection... they all look so darn good!

Alex

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I've got wrists in the 6.5"-6.75" range and I wear an M45. The design of the case and lugs is such that it fits a wide range of wrist sizes. I also wear a V1 (44mm) and a B16 (43mm) on a regular basis. I was quite pleased to see the 40mm 300M available promptly per-ordered a 300M-1.

As to the PVD durability... My B16 has seen lots of wear including a few times on duty with absolutely no scratching whatsoever. If you drive a desk, you will notice wear on the bracelet where it comes into almost constant contact with the desk or keyboard. If that's going to bother you, then perhaps the stainless finish would be more to your liking.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
44mm is definitely my max, but they look great. I'm still very excited about the incoming 40mm 300M that I'm not so patiently waiting on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: gaopa

·
Registered
140 Posts
My wrist is 6.5. Here is my M19. The lug curves so it doesn't look or feel too big.
I was pondering on the 300MXL, but the lugs on those are longer I believe so am on the fence between the 40 or 45.
I'm also on the fence about the bronze...mostly because I think it will leave some patina on the skin. I like them on the watch not on me :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I have to agree about the V series wearing about like a 42mm watch.

I was wearing my M45 last night and the V1 at work today. The V1 definitely feels smaller, despite being the same 44mm. It's all in the design!

·
Registered
6,839 Posts
I have 7.25 inch wrists and all of my Lum-Tecs (M19, M6, LZ1, V1, 500M-1) all wear really well at a variety of sizes. Wearability is more than just size but shape a well and LT watches fit really well. The hard part is definitely deciding on which one to buy, which is why so many of us have more than one. Bronze watches are really interesting but tend to be a bit more casual looking, so only go for it if that is when you will be wearing it the most, otherwise a SS will be a bit more versatile IMO.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I have a small wrist and wear an M24 and and M500 and they look fine. As for the PVD all I have is black PVD watches but the application is thick and the material is tough. It would take a really hard gash to get down to metal, unlikely to happen I think. All in all the the PVD is way tougher than stainless steel. My stainless steel watches are the only ones that have micro scratches. I think I'm done with stainless. From now on I want Tungsten Carbide, A coated watch or whatever other new thing Ray has up his sleeve.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Well... PVD scratches easy enough imho. Tungsten however is just awesome!
I have three and they all still look as if they came straight out of the box.
Out of all the watches I own, I have worn them most often but you can't tell.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks again, all, for the valuable insight!

Now the only problem, once again, is the paradox of choice.

One other question about the V series... does anyone know off hand the height of the case? Love the depth of the dial!

For now I'll stick with my current pre-order of the 300M-2. Depending on how commission goes for August/September... may consider a V7 around Christmas. Good thing my girlfriend has truly tiny wrists, or I'd have to get her one for Christmas too :blushing:

·
Premium Member
2,708 Posts
Thanks again, all, for the valuable insight!

Now the only problem, once again, is the paradox of choice.

One other question about the V series... does anyone know off hand the height of the case? Love the depth of the dial!

For now I'll stick with my current pre-order of the 300M-2. Depending on how commission goes for August/September... may consider a V7 around Christmas. Good thing my girlfriend has truly tiny wrists, or I'd have to get her one for Christmas too :blushing:
My wrist is 6 7/8" to 7" depending on the weather. I have & wear both the M series & V series with no problems. The V fits me slightly better. I don't think either is going to be an issue for you, but if you are concerned about size I agree with what the others above have said - the V wears smaller than it measures.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.