WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Deceptive Trade Practices...............

Limited Edition? Really:w00t::w00t:
It's used only for marketing purposes.
Unless it's 10 or less.............:001_tt2:

·
Premium Member
6,203 Posts
Limited Edition? Really:w00t::w00t:
It's used only for marketing purposes.
Unless it's 10 or less.............:001_tt2:
I disagree - what makes it 'limited' is the popularity of the model. A 'Limited Edition' of say 500 Rolex Subs would sell out in a very short time, and be highly sought after/collectible. I imagine a Limited Edition of 500 of certain G-Shock models would also sell out and be very desirable - in this case simply due to the volume of G-Shocks sold worldwide, 500 would not necessarily be a hard target to achieve.
The Oris Swiss Hunter Team LE had 1,958 pieces (1958 for the first year of production of the Hawker Hunter Jet) which sold out very quickly and are still highly sought after (if anyone has one they want to sell please PM me :biggrin:).
I'm sure there are many more examples of 'high number' Limited Editions that sell quickly and remain popular and collectible.
And of course it's all about marketing, isn't that the method by which any retailer promotes their product? But that doesn't mean it's trickery or deception.

·
Banned
778 Posts
I like the Panerai business model on this. 800 of each type of watch per year. I'm not sure it counts as "limited edition" in the strictest definition of the phrase - but I think it is a quirky take on the idea and interesting when you want to place and date the watch.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.