WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have stripped 4 of my watches of their straps and turned them into pocket watches. I did this because I love to handle them when I'm driving ( I'm a driver by trade). Although a novice collector I do notice the quality of the inner lug where it is unseen due to straps,i look for a refined smooth polish instead of roughened unfinished jagged look. Is this where some will cut corners? I do realize this bend is the hardest area to polish!

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have stripped 4 of my watches of their straps and turned them into pocket watches. I did this because I love to handle them when I'm driving ( I'm a driver by trade). Although a novice collector I do notice the quality of the inner lug where it is unseen due to straps,i look for a refined smooth polish or roughened unfinished jagged look. Is this where some will cut corners? I do realize this bend is the hardest area to polish!
I live in a very hot climate and my wristwatch gets all sweaty and icky. So, many times I use it as a pocket watch.
I leave the straps on but just fold them over and easy to take out and in of my pocket and no sharp lugs with the straps still on.

Maybe I missed your main point but this is my take on it.

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
some of these vintage pocket watches (from Elgin et al) are as accurate as any wrist watch on the market.

·
Registered
185 Posts
A sample of my pocket watch collection.
I like 12S or about 42 to 45mm.
And, just think, this is the size of the modern in fashion wrist watch!
Brown Clock Measuring instrument Material property Font

They've all been serviced and ready to wear.
The Elgin, when I went in to pick up after servicing there was a fellow there waiting
for me and said he wanted to buy and for me to name my price. I politely declined.

·
Super Moderator
16,879 Posts
@ Aquaaiea- in answer to your question: yes! That is one of the areas.

@ billybop- what?....no Hamilton???

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.