WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I'm on a vintage watch kick lately but have found that most (all?) of the American vintage watches I find are tiny. They're beautiful...but tiny.

I'm a big guy - 6'4", 270lbs. Tiny watches just don't cut it for me. I'm wondering if there are some vintage watches that you have run across that run large? And by large I would say No Smaller than 38mm and preferably 40mm or more.

The styling on some of these American vintage watches is downright amazing. I'd be a very happy man if I found one that was both amazingly beautiful and large enough for me to wear.

Any guidance would be enabling a fairly new watch fanatic to further his collection!
Thx,
Chad

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Chad,

A size 6s wrist watch (trench watch) from the WWI era sounds right up your alley.

These were the biggest that were available.

The cases are 38mm across and lug to lug about 40mm - 42mm.

Not exactly an easy item to find but they can be had.

These were available with Elgin, Waltham and Illinois movements (a couple others as well).

Prices on these size 6s watches have been going up in the past year.

Here are a few examples.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Another thing you could do is convert a pocket watch into a wrist watch. Lots of folks do it, even when they were new.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Chad, on this forum, you have stumbled upon someone (Stan), who probably knows as much about the watches that fit your criteria as anyone on the planet. He has many, many models he has lovingly refurbished to "like new" condition and likely could find anything you would be looking for!

Welcome to the American Forum! :thumbup1: Look forward to seeing what you choose!

Reactions: literustyfan

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
All of the above shown cases were made by the Philadelphia Watch Case Company accept for the gold filled one, that was made by Bates & Bacon.

The Illinois Watch Case Company did make size 6s cases but believe it or not I have yet to own one, I've never even seen one for that matter!

Pictured is an example of the Illinois version but it's the smaller size 3/0s.

The ad from October 1917 states that this case was available in sizes 6s, 0s & 3/0s.

The Illinois versions had swivel lugs and were semi-hermetic cases ! ! !

Note the DEEP well bezel, this case is a work of art ! ! !

These are VERY hard to come by in size 3/0s and 0s, you only see maybe 2-3 a year.

I would kill to get my hands on one of these in a size 6s ! ! ! !

I'm almost done with this size 3/0s, just doing some testing before a final assembly.

This size 3/0s case measures 45mm lug to lug and 35mm without the crown, this is HUGE for a size 3/0s trench watch ! ! ! ! !

I can only imagine what the giant size 6s would measure...............

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Look at the swivel lug in the 6 o'clock position, notice anything?

My friend Dave just fabricated a brand new swivel lug from SCRATCH, the original lug was broken off many years ago.

I was shocked at the expert craftsmanship! Could not believe that he was able make a matching new lug!

These cases are very rare so it was well worth the $100.00 to have a new one fabricated.

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
Hey all,

I'm on a vintage watch kick lately but have found that most (all?) of the American vintage watches I find are tiny. They're beautiful...but tiny.

I'm a big guy - 6'4", 270lbs. Tiny watches just don't cut it for me. I'm wondering if there are some vintage watches that you have run across that run large? And by large I would say No Smaller than 38mm and preferably 40mm or more.

The styling on some of these American vintage watches is downright amazing. I'd be a very happy man if I found one that was both amazingly beautiful and large enough for me to wear.

Any guidance would be enabling a fairly new watch fanatic to further his collection!
Thx,
Chad
Welcome to the American chford!

Believe me, Stan isn't a small guy either (all muscle!)
and the examples he showed are considered pretty big by
the standards back in the day.

The Bund straps also make the surface area look larger too.

Fantastic watches!

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Stan Stan Stan ........yet another fabulous group .....should some money fall out of the sky and land on me.....the first thing I'd get is one of your watches ......

Reactions: literustyfan

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hi Chad, if you can open up your range a bit to 34-38mm you will find a large selection of 1920's models based on the 0s movements of the American brands. Hamilton's first strap watches had 0 sized movements and are very collectable though uncommon. Waltham and Elgin cased all of their post war 0s pocketwatch movements as wristwatches also. It took almost the whole decade for tastes to slim wristwatches down to the 6/0 and 8/0 sizes common until the late 50's. Here is one of my Elgins.

It measures a little over 34mm and takes a 19mm strap. It dwarfs the rest of my collection and looks big on the wrist to my vintage trained eye. There is a nice selection of shapes. You will see rectangular, cushion, touneau, round, octagonal, barrel. In white, green, yellow, two toned. Plain and engraved bezels and sides. Joel

·
Registered
1 Posts
Small watches aren't made for tall boys. The same issue is with my husband. He is 6.3 ft tall and small watches don’t suit him. Then I bought AP watch for him on this black friday and guess what? He just loved that AP watch with big face.

·
Super Moderator
5,863 Posts
I''m not sure how large this Lord Elgin is on eBay and there's not much time left in the auction but.... it does have "Made in America" on the dial. eBay ID# 321034499148

·
Registered
93 Posts
Larger watches that I like are
British WWW + German DH military watches are big and impressive to wear. These are from WWII and the late 40's and 50's
I love Classic Omegas from the 50's with big, beefy lugs, especially those in stainless steel
Good luck-the fun is in the hunt!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts