WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Edit

After discovering ulackfocus' fantastic Horology 101 threads, I have realized that many of the questions I had asked are irrelevant or unnecessary.

I'm still interested in hearing about the existence or future existence of ceramic bezels on the Divers range, and how people feel about the durability and scratch resistance of these parts!

·
Registered
278 Posts
If you want to know what's on the horizon, wait until the 2012 Baselworld. For now, I'd just get a diver date with a ceramic aftermarket bezel (I believe Rolex Submariner bezel inserts also fit, just look on eBay). What's wrong with stainless steel? It's brighter and more scratch resistant than titanium.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Edited the original post to reflect some learning I did.

[SUP][/SUP]
If you want to know what's on the horizon, wait until the 2012 Baselworld. For now, I'd just get a diver date with a ceramic aftermarket bezel (I believe Rolex Submariner bezel inserts also fit, just look on eBay). What's wrong with stainless steel? It's brighter and more scratch resistant than titanium.
Oh? I thought that the titanium was intended to be more durable than steel. That's not the case? (pun not intended)

If I'm wrong about that then I guess that more or less makes this post sort of irrelevant. Am I also wrong to believe that ceramic is the more durable bezel material?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,208 Posts
Titanium does have a good look to it, and is much lighter than the SS case/bracelet, but as mentioned, they can be easier to scratch. I'm sure I've read that the titanium scratches can be removed easier than trying to repolish SS (not brushed SS). I don't know much about Titanium watches (on the 'wish' list for one day...) but I'd be interested in what other members with Ti watches have to say about their 'scratchability' or ease of scratch removal..

·
Registered
278 Posts
Titanium might have greater tensile strength than stainless steel, but it's resistance to scratching is quite poor. I badly scratched the clasp of my Titan C after rubbing it against a dumb bell.

Some grades of titanium are harder than others, but in Oris watches it's quite soft. Citizen actually add a duratec coating to their titanium cases to increase scratch resistance.

Ceramic more brittle (but still reasonably tough) than aluminium, but it's super scratch resistant. If I have the choice, I'll always take ceramic.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So what I can take from that is that the ceramic is, in your estimation, the all-around better choice for a bezel, when available? Very cool.

I'm given to understand that despite being technically more brittle than other materials, the force necessary to damage the ceramic is great enough that similar force would cause equal but different damage to other materials anyway; i.e. that whereas the ceramic hit with that force would shatter, steel would be structurally intact but completely mangled. Is the damage to the ceramic sort of a threshold, rather than a matrix, then? So that whereas steel scratches, dents, bends, then ultimately breaks, the ceramic would remain more or less unaffected until enough force to cause ultimate breakage was applied?

Anyway, I suppose this thread is becoming more about materials in general than the Diver Date specifically; sorry about that!

Thanks WnS for your input; I guess I had heard about some watches like the Citizen you mentioned and assumed that the Titanium itself was responsible for the scratch-resistance.

How do you find the accuracy of the movement in these watches? Right now I have a Hamilton Pioneer that runs quite fast - sometimes up to +13 second a day depending on how long I wear it vs store it. Are the Oris Diver movements better regulated in general?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Yeah, pretty much. If you baby your watches like I do, ceramic is ideal - it's an all or nothing type of material, whereas aluminium tends to attract small scratches. Citizen actually coats their Ti watches with something.

Regulation? The Oris manual specifies -5 to +20s for non-chronometers (that's most of the watches in their range). I get +6s for both my watches but expect more or less.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Titanium does have a good look to it, and is much lighter than the SS case/bracelet, but as mentioned, they can be easier to scratch. I'm sure I've read that the titanium scratches can be removed easier than trying to repolish SS (not brushed SS). I don't know much about Titanium watches (on the 'wish' list for one day...) but I'd be interested in what other members with Ti watches have to say about their 'scratchability' or ease of scratch removal..
Muttley, my Ventura is titanium, but hardened. (Ventura calls it Titanox) So far, just a scratch at the clasp on a watch from the early 2000's. Very tough.

·
Premium Member
6,208 Posts
Muttley, my Ventura is titanium, but hardened. (Ventura calls it Titanox) So far, just a scratch at the clasp on a watch from the early 2000's. Very tough.
That's impressive :thumbup1:. I haven't heard of Oris treating their titanium in any way to make it more durable or scratch resistant - anyone know any different?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts