WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am trying to research a Longines watch I have and have some general questions about Longines. My watch says "cased and tested in USA by Longines14k solid gold."
Has a case serial # 513541.
The movement is marked Longines seventeen jewels
8LN
unadjusted
LXW

Did Longines have "custom" cases ?
Could this be a special case, not a standard model?

SDC11218_3.jpg SDC11219_3.jpg SDC11221_3.jpg SDC11223_3.jpg

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
Hi George. It's not a custom case, it was made in the USA by a maker who was under contract with Longines. There should be some kind of marking on the inside of the case back that tells which maker (Star, L&K, K&E, etc) it was - see my Diamond Dynasty made by K&E:

To avoid import tariffs, Longines sent movements of no more than 17 jewels to their NY plant to be installed into American made gold cases. The LXW is their import code:

The serial number of 8,917,949 puts it as being made in 1953.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The only marking in the case is 14k and the serial #

All the other info was on the movement. The jeweler used a microscope on the case and the band and found no other markings of any kind. No notation of gold K except on the case back (inside).

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
The only marking in the case is 14k and the serial #

All the other info was on the movement. The jeweler used a microscope on the case and the band and found no other markings of any kind. No notation of gold K except on the case back (inside).
That leads me to believe it was a South American case. Stainless steel watches were stripped of the movement/dial/hands/crown/crystal, a gold case was made to fit them, and then the parts were installed. Common practice for that region, but not so accepted among US and European collectors.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Info from Longines

This just adds confusion as to the case maker. Doesn't appear it went to South America,

From Longines:

Thanks to the new indications, I have the pleasure to give you here below the information I found in our old hand-written registers :

The serial number 8’917’949 identifies a wristwatch, fitted with a Longines manufacture caliber 8.68 N that was first produced in 1937.

It was invoiced to Longines-Wittnauer Watch C°, who were for many years our agent for the USA, on 6.5.1954.

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
Usually they tell you what metal the original watch case was made of. Reply to that e-mail asking that question. It's possible that the watch was shipped to the US first, then brought to South America. It's also possible that somebody in the US bought it and bought an aftermarket case for it. Well, anything is possible but more info is necessary to make a better guess.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts