WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watch Analog watch Gesture Clock Everyday carry

I'm thinking about purchasing my first Accutron. At the bottom of the dial on this M4 214 there is the word SWISS.....why is that if the Swiss didn't take over the company until the early 80's?

Hope someone can please let me know! Thanks

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
View attachment 33351

I'm thinking about purchasing my first Accutron. At the bottom of the dial on this M4 214 there is the word SWISS.....why is that if the Swiss didn't take over the company until the early 80's?

Hope someone can please let me know! Thanks
Bulova had both Swiss and U.S.A. operations with watches being produced in both countries. Nothing strange there.

BTW, that eBay seller is a good guy and you will get a nice watch from him. I have done business with him, both buying his watches and having him repair my watches. Always satisfied.

·
Registered
326 Posts
In my opinion that watch is wrong. Most of the BOW TIE 214's have a Swiss case with an American movement. The crosshair dial only saying "ACCUTRON" in that version. There was a Swiss version that had the same cross hair dial that read "BULOVA ACCUTRON and Swiss made at the bottom. Its case back had the usual Swiss serial number 1-xxxx. It also had a Swiss made movement. It looks to me that a Swiss dial was fitted to a American movement on that watch.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
In my opinion that watch is wrong. Most of the BOW TIE 214's have a Swiss case with an American movement. The crosshair dial only saying "ACCUTRON" in that version. There was a Swiss version that had the same cross hair dial that read "BULOVA ACCUTRON and Swiss made at the bottom. Its case back had the usual Swiss serial number 1-xxxx. It also had a Swiss made movement. It looks to me that a Swiss dial was fitted to a American movement on that watch.
All good points. Seller should be asked about the details.

·
Banned
605 Posts
Thank God for you people who know this stuff!!!! I still like the look of it. But Bulgaria mans watches do look a little too antiseptic (if that is the right word) for me....But he'll be reviving 3 or 4 of my dead Accutrons real soon....

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
This thread brings up exactly what's been on my mind after viewing some of Ludmil's eBay listings. First of all, let me say that I have one of his that my wife purchased for me as a gift, and it's beautiful and running nicely. His offerings always seem to look very "antiseptic" or clean, but he mentions in his postings that he "disenfects" the case I believe. I think that's great. However, I've seen some offered that I thought I may have seen a different dial in a certain case, and was starting to wonder if he's piecing some parts (cases/dials/etc) together. Now, some of these might look great, but if he is indeed doing this it should be mentioned clearly in his description.

Eric

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
I think it is possible he does this with some watches and, yes, he should indicate such in his description. As more Accutrons are parted out for whatever reason, I believe we will see more of this. So far I have "restored" five Accutrons, building them up from parts. If those were to be sold by me in the future I would definitely describe how they came to be. I think vintage original and whatever the others are to be called both have their place but collectors wishing to acquire factory original specimens will have work to do. This is not uncommon in the watch collecting world with many watches referred to as "modded" when they are rebuilt by piecing them together with original or aftermarket parts.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I tend to agree completely but before passing judgement on the watch sold by Ludmil back in 2012, consider that he has access to watches that were made and marketed only in Europe. Just because it doesn't look like a model 218 or the Swiss model 246 doesn't mean that Bulova didn't make it that way. I prefer to withhold condemnation while I continue my search for that illusive Astronaut with the railroad (spade) hands.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Oh you mean like that it could be an "artist rendering" but not a watch that was ever released ?
Some at mybulova.com raise the possibility that sometimes a watch pictured in an ad is not exactly like the one that is marketed. Personally, I don't know if this occurred or how often it occurred but I do know it was periodically discussed on that forum.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Not to be argumentative, I used to go to MyBulova once in a while but I quit going there because I gained the impression that they knew little about Accutrons beyond possible model numbers.
Maybe someone else here can let us know what they think.
I totally agree. Also, they mostly only care about older mechanical Bulova watches. In mentioning that forum I only wanted to bring up the idea that ads sometimes may not have accurately depicted the model that was produced. I do believe that, for the most part, ads are a great source of verifying details on watches offered in past years.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.