WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two weeks ago I purchased my first Bulova precisionist Claremont. The reason why I bought it was because of the cool sweep seconds hand, I was a little upset that the battery is only good for three years. While I was flipping through the manual it says on page 4, if you plain on storing a quartz watch for a long periods of time to leave the crown out? Now it doesn't say anything about a standard bulova or precisionist models just quartz watches in general? So My question is if I plain to not wear the watch for lets say a month would it be ok to leave the crown out? Since Bulova said it was OK to do?

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
My guess would be it's no problem with pulling the crown out for a month or so for storage. Quartz watches have fewer moving parts, and as such less oiled parts or parts dependent upon lubrication. (Please check me if/when I'm wrong here people, this is my uneducated deduction) For a quartz watch to be unpowered, with the movement not in motion, shouldn't be any problem. Afterall, many people who don't own winders do this with automatic movement watches. They let them sit and once a month or so shake them gently to get them started, set and wear for a bit to wind them up, and then put them away again until they wear them or do it again. I've read that shouldn't be a problem. If you let any watch sit for a long time then whatever oil is in them can possibly what....evaporate, or gum up and the watch can be hesitant to start up?

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Many quartz watches are shipped with the battery installed and the stem out and left that way until sold so, it is. Or a problem to do so. However, is a 3 year battery life expectancy really all that bad? The battery sits right on top of the mvt. and is easily serviceable. Of course, this is coming from someone who changes his own batteries.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.