WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
5,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While there still seems to be lots of Invicta automatics out there, will the time come when the scarcity of the movement either from Switzerland or the Far East will make quartz the only affordable option?

When you buy a new watch, which movement do you prefer and why?

·
Registered
759 Posts
While I'm still relatively new to watches (only around 1 year) I don't mind having both but in the end, I keep my mechanicals longer.

Why?
1. Having something different than the general public
2. Nice mechanical movements look very beautiful
3. The joy of the sweeping second hand, especially with 28,800 BPH movements.
4. Usually makes for a thick case :).
5. Theoretically, they can last forever and are serviceable.

I doubt quartz will become the only affordable route for watches. I think once the ETA squeeze goes into effect, I think (read: hope) some other companies step up and make other automatics. I'd really like to see a market with more than 1-2 dominant movements, I'd love to see (won't happen) each company have their own movements, or at best, have 4-5 different movements. While developing movements isn't cheap, forget easy, I'd like to see the movement industry diversify. But if that industry follows the same route many others have, consolidation is usually the end result... :(.

In order for me to buy a quartz, it has to offer something special. Either be highly accurate or be kinetic, or a highly jeweled one.

In the end, I have both and I'll continue to buy both. It isn't a deciding factor in buying but I do like the mechanical mechanisms best.

·
Banned
927 Posts
If I like the watch, the movement is secondary. Autos and mechanicals are great, but quartz sure is convenient.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
I appreciate the work that goes into a mechanical movement, whether it be an automatic or a manual wind. Mechanical movements have more a classic feel to me than quartz. However, as I stated elsewhere on this forum, when I'm looking for an affordable chronograph, quartz has the advantage over automatic.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
I like quartz, because I like precision, so if there is ever a mechanical movement (a term I use to include automatics) shortage, which in my judgement will be entirely staged, it would concern me not in the least.

In fact, I'm happy as a pig in the sunshine with the watches that I currently own and I suspect that even if some of those die along the way, at least one will still be running on the day I die.

So, whatever happens in the watch world regarding shortages caused either by demand or manipulation, I'm good to go.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Liking the overall look of the watch is my first criteria. Movement is second. My preference in movement is in this order 1.) mechanical 2.) automatic (Swiss) 3.) quartz (well jeweled) 4.) automatic (Japanese)...If not one of those i probably don't buy.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I prefer autos/mechanicals since I've had them for a couple years now, but like others are said, if I like the watch the movement is secondary. My Speedway and GMT are only available in quartz so that's how I bought them.

·
Banned
2,860 Posts
While there still seems to be lots of Invicta automatics out there, will the time come when the scarcity of the movement either from Switzerland or the Far East will make quartz the only affordable option?

When you buy a new watch, which movement do you prefer and why?
No little graph thingy, Rusty? I prefer automatics, and would love to have a mechanical, in that order. I do have a couple of quartzes, from my pre-WIS days and then two Swiss Mades that I really wanted. But my inclination now is to only purchase autos or mechanicals. To me, those represent what a watch is all about, and the craftsmanship and sophistication of such movements.

·
Registered
759 Posts
One thing I've noticed from one forum to another, there is a distinction made between automatic and mechanical. The others would just say auto or manual wind....

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
While I am new to automatic watches I have found that they have really grown on me. But I do like the accuracy of my quartz watches. Especially my Ocean Ghosts with the big day date feature. I suppose if I only had one choice to make I would be hard pressed to go without my quartz watches.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Mostly quartz.

I really admire mechanical watches auto or manual for the fact that these little machines work and work well. On the other hand, I love my quartz watches because they are pretty much set them and forget them. And, like Grady states, they are accurate.

I do have one auto and have another on order. But, I think I will keep on with mainly quartz. As far as sweep and non sweep this issue has come full circle with time. When quartz first came out they were the craze. Instead of a second hand sweeping it ticked away in second by second or in some cases 1/10 second by 1/10 second displaying the great accuracy. Now it seems the pendulum has swung back to the flowing movement of mechanical sweeping.

Outside my Invicta's I have quartz movements in Bulova, Whittnaur, Seiko, and Citizen, non of which do I consider but excellent time pieces that I am very proud to own and wear.

Like Foggy says, "I like them all!":thumbup:

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm also among those who love them all, however, I must admit to having a soft spot for looking at the sweeping second hand of an automatic over the static second hand 'tick' of a quartz watch. Obviously, this has no bearing in a watch's ability to keep time, but a smooth sweeping second hand is aesthetically pleasing.

However, a quartz watch will always have more advantages over a mechanical one. There's no doubt that automatic/mechanical watches have their charm, but quartz is king of the watch industry for good reason. They're much more accurate, reliable, and require far less maintenance than auto/mechanical watches making them the most practical choice for a timepiece in today's world.

One can appreciate the workmanship that goes into fabricating an automatic or manual winding watch, but in essence they only serve as somewhat of a status symbol for today's WIS who want's to distinguish or set himself apart from the quartz watch wearing masses. I ain't saying there's nothing wrong with that, but let's face it, the primary function of a watch is to tell time and quartz watches do a more efficient job at it.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I prefer a car with a manual transmission, and a watch with a automatic movement.
I guess I want it all and that seems to go with cars for me also. I have both mechanical and quartz watches and I also have manual and auto trans on my two cars.:laugh:

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
If I could locate a three-hand quartz where the second hand lines up with the hash marks on every tick, I might like them more.

·
Registered
759 Posts
That irks me too banned, out of the many quartz I've had, maybe 2-3 lined up on the hash marks and I think it made it look cheap. Seiko seemed to be best at it, but that's just my experience.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts