WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I'm new here and am looking for my first "real" watch. I've been using cheap Timex and Casio's (they are great watches, just looking for a bit more upscale).

I want something that is appropriate for work (business casual) and sitting around at home in jeans. I want something new. I'd have no idea what I'd be looking at used.

Preferably an auto 40mm or larger. Must have date. Day would be a plus.

I know the price range is low in the big scheme of things, but I'd like a quality piece I could be proud to keep in a modest collection if I went that way.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
161 Posts
You cant go wrong with the Invicta 8926 and I think just about everyone will agree. You should be able to find that for less than $120

·
Registered
309 Posts
Monster. Monster. MONSTER!!! You can get it in black if the orange is too much. This is the best watch you could buy for less than $200.

The Invicta Pro Divers are hard to beat for the price also, but Seiko is will give you significant quality for the longest time.

If you're obsession is like the rest of us, you will most likely own both before 2009.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
I own only one watch that cost me more than $200. I do hunt for deep discounts of the watches I buy. Finding good watches under that price is really a cake walk. You mentioned Timex and Casio and I agree they are great watches, but among my other watches for which I paid less than $200 are Citizen, Hamilton, Pulsar, and Invicta.

In my opinion, if what you want is a well built, good looking, accurate timepiece, there is absoultely no reason to spend more than $200.

http://watchtalkforums.info/forums/showpost.php?p=13044&postcount=9

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There appear to be some Seiko 5 Sports that fit into the over 40mm category.

Is the Seiko 5 movement superior to the Invicta's?

Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
There appear to be some Seiko 5 Sports that fit into the over 40mm category.

Is the Seiko 5 movement superior to the Invicta's?

Any other suggestions?
First, Welcome, Fast200 to the WTF, home to many WIS's, (Watch Idiot Savant's)

I own quite a few Invicta's and the above suggestions will fit what you are looking for very nicely:thumbup1: Invicta makes a very fine watch at a very affordable price.:thumbup1:

The advantages that I know you would have with the Seiko are, the lume on a Seiko is far superior to any of the Invicta's you will find in your price range and more importantly Seiko customer service is fantastic, bar none! While I and a great many of my Invicta owner friends will tell you that is a weak spot with Invicta.:blushing:

An example of Seiko customer service. My wife and I gave an older Seiko watch to my father in law. It was the watch of a deceased relative my father in law loved very much. Problem was, father in laws wrist size was much bigger and the links that were taken out when sized were long gone, A call to Seiko and they still had links in stock. Better yet, they sent a few replacement links for S&H cost only! That is great CS!:thumbup: Also, Seiko has been a leading watch maker for years! Their reputation speaks for itself!:thumbup:

Bottom line: I own nine Invicta's and have another ordered right now. That speaks for itself:thumbup1: I also own three Seiko's. Would have more but the cost factor has limited that. If I were going to have but one watch out of the two brands and I wanted to have the highest confidence of it functioning over years and at the same time wanted to know I would get good service in the unlikely event of something going wrong, I would go with Seiko.:thumbup: My first Seiko is 20 years old and the only thing that has ever been done to it is battery changes.

Now all my Invicta friends are going to beat me up!:crying:

·
Registered
129 Posts
agree with the seikos... my first nice gift from my wife (then girlfriend) was a simple gold face seiko quartz 25 years ago... still wear it regularly and it keeps excellent time.

only had to change the strap and the battery.

good luck with what will surely become your new passion.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I say take that money and head to the sale forum here. You can really make that money go farther by buying something that is slightly used. In my view it's the best way to start. It's how I started. I was able to save some $200.00 with the first watch I purchased which was a used watch from a fellow member of another forum. Purchased through the sale section.

Best Regards,

Thomas Carey

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
agree with the seikos... my first nice gift from my wife (then girlfriend) was a simple gold face seiko quartz 25 years ago... still wear it regularly and it keeps excellent time.

This is the first post I have seen from you so let me take the time to say,
WELCOME!:biggrin:

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
invicta aussie pro diver
sapphie crystal, miyota automatic day-date, 43mm case.

the best choice in this price range.

·
Registered
309 Posts
First, Welcome, Fast200 to the WTF, home to many WIS's, (Watch Idiot Savant's)

I own quite a few Invicta's and the above suggestions will fit what you are looking for very nicely:thumbup1: Invicta makes a very fine watch at a very affordable price.:thumbup1:

The advantages that I know you would have with the Seiko are, the lume on a Seiko is far superior to any of the Invicta's you will find in your price range and more importantly Seiko customer service is fantastic, bar none! While I and a great many of my Invicta owner friends will tell you that is a weak spot with Invicta.:blushing:

An example of Seiko customer service. My wife and I gave an older Seiko watch to my father in law. It was the watch of a deceased relative my father in law loved very much. Problem was, father in laws wrist size was much bigger and the links that were taken out when sized were long gone, A call to Seiko and they still had links in stock. Better yet, they sent a few replacement links for S&H cost only! That is great CS!:thumbup: Also, Seiko has been a leading watch maker for years! Their reputation speaks for itself!:thumbup:

Bottom line: I own nine Invicta's and have another ordered right now. That speaks for itself:thumbup1: I also own three Seiko's. Would have more but the cost factor has limited that. If I were going to have but one watch out of the two brands and I wanted to have the highest confidence of it functioning over years and at the same time wanted to know I would get good service in the unlikely event of something going wrong, I would go with Seiko.:thumbup: My first Seiko is 20 years old and the only thing that has ever been done to it is battery changes.

Now all my Invicta friends are going to beat me up!:crying:
I have to admit also, I have another Invicta on order. But timebender is right, the Seiko will give you years of trouble free service.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
invicta aussie pro diver

I can't disagree with that. I voted for that one as Watch of the Year.

It's a beauty.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
invicta aussie pro diver

I am a fan of the aussie as well, but I cannot seem to find them in stock anywhere for a reasonable price (in black face).

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
That's strange, because I just found one within less than a minute of reading your post.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I am a fan of the aussie as well, but I cannot seem to find them in stock anywhere for a reasonable price (in black face).
My vote is still with the Seiko but, check with one of our sponsors that can be found at the top of any of these pages. I have dealt with Larry at Triton's and that was a very pleasurable experience. Had the watch before ShopNBC would ever have an order out of the "processing" stage.

Also, you can find sponsors that sell Seiko's. Be sure to let them know you are a WTF member. Many give discounts!

·
Premium Member
6,205 Posts
I own only one watch that cost me more than $200. I do hunt for deep discounts of the watches I buy. Finding good watches under that price is really a cake walk. You mentioned Timex and Casio and I agree they are great watches, but among my other watches for which I paid less than $200 are Citizen, Hamilton, Pulsar, and Invicta.

In my opinion, if what you want is a well built, good looking, accurate timepiece, there is absoultely no reason to spend more than $200.

http://watchtalkforums.info/forums/showpost.php?p=13044&postcount=9
Grady, I meant to mention this when you first posted in the thread above - that pulsar is fantastic! Do you have the model number, and more importantly, would it still be available? It looks a bit like a Breitling Chrono Avenger (although I think the Pulsar looks better - the bezel is clearer, and the buttons don't stick out a mile. No offence to any chrono avenger owners, it's just not to my liking).
Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
6,205 Posts

Do you still have that watch? (any pics if you do). It sounds a lot like my Seiko from around the same time....

or am I a million miles off?

Cheers

1 - 20 of 29 Posts