WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A questionaire being run by eRelyx got me wondering- What is your definition of a luxury watch?

What do you believe its characteristics are? Is it a matter of money? Is it what the case is made of? The envy it evokes in others? All of these, or something else? There is no single right answer, and I'm curious about yours might be.

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
Any watch that costs more than $20 can be defined as a luxury item. Actually, any watch is technically a luxury since there are so many other ways to get the time.

Envy, schmenvy - I hope nobody recognizes the brand of watch I'm wearing. Let them show off their Brag Heuer* at the barbecue. :laugh: I'll smile knowing I'm in a sort of fraternity.

*before anyone goes off, I'm not disparaging TAG. I've owned a few and like them. I'm poking fun at the show off who buys a watch for the famous brand name and acts superior about it.

·
Super Moderator
15,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fair enough! Good thoughts as well!

Who's next?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Luxury is definitely going to mean something different (maybe completely different) to different people. A lot of factors (the look, brand name, materials, etc.) can go into this, but it probably all boils down to money. For some people, a $100 watch would be a luxury. To others, a $10,000 watch would be "normal" and a $250,000 watch might be luxury to them.

·
Super Moderator
15,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Luxury is definitely going to mean something different (maybe completely different) to different people....
Yup!...that's sort of what I'm hoping for.

those people need to be slapped back to reality
I suppose for men like Roman Abramovich who can afford to blow $485Million on the 558-foot mega-yacht Eclipse, that IS reality. :lol::lol:

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
A luxury is anything you can live without.... Realistically, as Dennis says a 20 dollar watch would do the job, but to expand that a little; Whether it be business, personal. homemaking, a watch is considered a needed item for most and a good quality one makes sense, I mean even shoes you want to buy a pair that lasts, which could cost a hundred bucks or more. So with that in mind a watch, good quality, nice looking, long lasting, well made ....maybe 100 to 300 just to use a number, maybe even up to a grand if you splurge a little. So with this reasoning anything above this is a luxury, wait. In my collection I have a hundred or more watches some several grand, some just a few buck.....More then one or two is a luxury; right..............Not for me it, It is a medical necessity, they keep me sane...LOL:001_rolleyes::001_rolleyes::T:T:biggrin::biggrin::lol::lol::001_smile::001_smile::001_smile::001_smile:

·
Premium Member
1,068 Posts
A watch that goes above our "regular" watches. In style ,movement or just the passion to own that timepiece. I'm aiming this at our captive group of watch enthusiasts. For a lay person I would say price and a recognized name would be the definition IMHO

·
Super Moderator
15,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cheap watch -- One I can easily afford
Mid range watch -- One I can buy
Luxury watch -- One I can't afford :biggrin:
:lol: That almost sounds like an answer I'd give.

·
Super Moderator
15,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What the heck- while we're waiting for others to discover this question I should throw in my answer as well. It's a simple one. I see a luxury watch as a super-expensive fine watch.
Basically I see three classes of watches- okay, good, and fine watches. And to me a luxury watch is the cream of the crop...a watch that transcends all parameters of fineness and has a price tag I know I'll never be able to afford.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I only have 1 watch worth over $1000 new and it's a Hamilton Aquariva Chrono. When I was researching it I heard Hamilton described as an "entry level luxury brand". I think when people use the term 'luxury watch', generally, they're talking about watches in the $800-1000 and up price range. I have several Citizens and Seikos and Skagens which were in the $100-$400 price range new, and while they're definitely cool, distinctive watches I don't think they're what most people are talking about when they use that term.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Any watch sold at Walmart is not luxury, mass produced by the thousands, they could be on thousands of people's wrists.
Luxury is small runs of watches that look good, and almost always cost over $500.00, for there parts, usually Swiss or in-house movements.
There are some very nice watches in the $500-$2000 range. Look at Lumtecs M20 it's a great piece I know, I own it, higher end decorated ETA movement, Tungsten carbide body and Carbon fiber dial for about $1200.00, looks great and scratch proof, including a scratch proof bracelet. I mention that because I saw a guy the other day with a very nice watch, but his metal watch band was all scratched, and it ruined the presentation.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
mass produced by the thousands, they could be on thousands of people's wrists.
Luxury is small runs of watches that look good, and almost always cost over $500.00, for there parts, usually Swiss or in-house movements.
by your definition, Rolex would not be a luxury watch then, nor many others.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts