WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've heard Breitling pronounced Breetling, Brightling, and Brateling.

I've always said Breetling, but Brightling has a precedent in the name Einstein.

Brateling has a precedent in words like weight.

I know a former Air Force pilot who says Brightling, but doesn't own one and I know a service rep at my Honda dealer who says Brateling and actually owns one.

What say ye?

Well, I found this site that sounds like it knows how to pronounce everything, almost.

It doesn't jibe with some other sites that didn't even jibe with themselves.

So, take it for what its worth.

http://www.brandspeaking.com/

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Correct pronounciation is Brightling. Rhymes with flight, light, height, litebrite, etc... :001_tongue:

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
Yup, I second John & gearhead. That's the way I've always heard it, and that includes the folks from B-USA and also from someone I know who was a sales rep for them for 5 years.

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
Well I say " Breetling " but since it's a European ( Swiss ) brand, I believe the correct pronunciation is " Brateling ". I've never subscribed to " Brightling " but that's just me.

In fact I've heard more folk say " Breetling " with the second most popular being " Brightling ".

Guess either of the first two probably won't matter here or when you are referring to it in an English-speaking country. If you were to speak the mother tongue in Switzerland or Germany, I imagine you'd say " Brateling ".

Be well pals

ZIN

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
If you were to speak the mother tongue in Switzerland or Germany, I imagine you'd say " Brateling ".

Well, here's what one site has to say about it and, well, they do look like they know what they're talking about, even if they don't.

From the link above; turn the sound up:

http://www.brandspeaking.com/Breitling

I guess that if you aren't going to roll your R's, it really doesn't matter which pronunciation you use.

I like to roll my R's, so from now on for me it's Brrrrrrrrrateling!

·
Registered
748 Posts
Next time I'm in Switzerland, I can ask the 'natives' how they pronounce it.

I think it is a simple matter of spelling vs. pronunciation. In English, it would be Bright-ling, but in German, the letters have differing sounds, so it becomes Brate-ling.

I think both are technically correct... It just matters where in the world you are...

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I think it is a simple matter of spelling vs. pronunciation. In English, it would be Bright-ling, but in German, the letters have differing sounds, so it becomes Brate-ling.

I think both are technically correct... It just matters where in the world you are...
Paging Hannes. Hannes to the thread please. He'll solve the German matter for us.

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
That's a good one JohnR. Only thing is we'll have to make it out above the din of his air-cooled engine. :lol:

OK Pals here's another one -

Do you say " e-ther " or " i-ther "

Over here in these isles, folk say " i-ther ". I however say " e-ther ".

So if you say " e-ther ", should you then not say " Breetling " :001_rolleyes:

Just wondering ;) :biggrin::biggrin:

Y'all have a nice day now - Gee it's rather bright in here :lol::lol::lol:

ZIN

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Premium Member
6,208 Posts
Spot on - just depends on where in the world you are I guess. You would look a complete spoon saying "Paree" when referring to the capital of France, but hey, isn't that the correct pronounciation? My 2c worth - "Brightling" - maybe that's the English pronounciation, as opposed to German / American etc. Wonder how the Aussies pronounce it? Any takers....

Next time I'm in Switzerland, I can ask the 'natives' how they pronounce it.

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
At a guess I imagine they'll say " Brightling Cobber " ;)

My good buddy from Rancho Shoe-Free Aaron, should be able to fill us in on this :thumbup1:

Be well now pal

ZIN

·
Registered
140 Posts
I went to the Breitling web-site and watched all the videos on how the cases are made and and tested and the spokesperson who was doing the narration pronounced it BrIghtling. I listened to it in all 5 languages and it is pronounced BrIghtling. Here is the website, check it out under the Technology button. http://www.breitling.com/en/
The video was pretty good and informative. I did not know the wings on the inside of the case on the dial face are made of 14k gold. You learn something everyday. So now I know how to say Breitling Super Avenger when people ask me what kind of watch is on my wrist.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts