WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Pentax K100D Super, and was wondering if this with its default macro lense is good enough for wedding photography. Tight budget here, but I want to take good wedding photos with aim to become a pro photographer. Otherwise, I'm just curious what types of SLR's you all are using. Plus, mine has trouble focusing in low light situations. Lense problem or camera problem?

If you could recommend good SLRs for wedding photography specifically, which are best?

·
Registered
15,299 Posts
For wedding photography on a budget - I'd say a single zoom is better than single prime. You would be quite limited with a single
portrait/macro lens. Pentax Super K100D is a 5+ year old camera and its 6Mp sensor is a bit outdated by today standards.

If you are on a tight budget - I'd suggest to get an entry level DSLR from Nikon or Canon (pre-owned at $350/$400)
and a pre owned (nice and fast) fast Tamron 17-50mm f2.8, and flash (a good one can be had pre-owned for $150 - $200).

This is not a PRO setup but with the right knowledge a PRO wedding could be easily pulled off with this rig - if it had to be.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
This is a touchy subject, and it's difficult to discuss it, from a professional's perspective, without sounding condescending and, well, just plain mean. Please know that's nowhere near my intent.

You're looking at charging people money to shoot their wedding, but you're wanting to do it with gear that any true "pro" wouldn't even use as a back-up body. Even a pre-owned body in the price range mentioned is going to be substandard. The fact that you're wondering about this hints at the likelihood that you're nowhere near ready to delve into this area of photography. "Good photos", while largely due to the skill of the photographer, are also impacted by the gear you choose to use. In the time it's going to take you to gain both the requisite knowledge and experience, cameras that are selling for $300.00 to $400.00 now are going to be relegated to pool toys. They'll be virtually worthless in the grand scheme of professional wedding photography.

You're also not going to want just a single camera body. If you agree to shoot someone's wedding, and your camera gives up the ghost (believe me, you don't want to tempt fate), what are you going to do? You need a second body. It's insane to embark on a wedding shoot without it. If your body fails, you could open yourself up to potential legal action. Also, word-of-mouth is a powerful thing, and you can be assured that the words coming out of mouths regarding your wedding-photographer prowess will not be favorable.

I've shot one wedding in my years of shooting, and I have absolutely no intention of ever shooting a second. Yes, there's certainly money to be made, provided you possess the skills, and possess the gear to let you flex those skills. There's a place for budget wedding photography, but it's no less stressful. The people paying you want the absolute best you can provide, providing the results are what they envision. If they're not, you can bet your last nickel that there will be problems.

I know some wildly successful wedding photographers. They're working, literally, all the time. If they're not shooting, they're editing. If they're not editing, they're dropping off jobs at the lab. If they're not doing that, they're doing any of a number of things that need to be done by successful wedding photographers.

And they do it while knowing that a single screw up can sabotage their career...

·
Registered
15,299 Posts
Steve,

My answer was more-less 'in theory' when discussing a very limited budget. The gear I described could 'pull off' a wedding
in emergency, but I do not think that any clients are interested in their wedding to be just 'pulled off', LOL ;-) It for sure would not
be 'enough' for me where I could in good faith charge for my services.

The OP also said "I want to take good wedding photos with aim to become a pro photographer" so I took it that he wants to
start and learn and not necessary start charge for his services right away. But what you said is 110% correct. Wedding photography
is serious and pretty stressful business. There are no second chances and the gear needs to be as good as possible and in top condition.
It also needs to be backed up from every aspect: dual bodies, multiple lenses, multiple flash units, backup cards and backup batteries and chargers..

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I will counter that the equipment does not matter, so long as it works.

My sister-in-law asked me to photograph her wedding to get more candid shots. I was very glad there was a "pro" there to ensure the critical photos came off right.

You need to be beyond expert in lighting, including off camera flash,and composition - you only get one shot at many of the captures. You can't dial in new flash exposure and try again or move over/zoom out, etc for a do-over.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
A great photographer could make a client happy with a Hawkeye Brownie.

A poor photographer will not get a single keeper from a 1Dx.

The camera is merely a tool. You can buy some "ability" with equipment, but if you really have the ability, you don't need it. Just like a journeyman machinist can make anything with a manual machine and you can train a monkey to make the same part(s) on a CNC.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great photographer can take a good picture with a Brownie but a whole wedding? I think not. the shutter will conked out with just the pre wedding shots. Wedding photographer should start with the best gears you can get. Have an extra set for back up. There simply no do over with wedding. Gears are important because of this. That said your gears are good enough for learning. All you need is a good midrange lens. 24-75mm, a good and fast recycling flash. A couple of classes in portrait photography will get you comfortable with lighting. Volunteer your service as a second shooter at as many wedding as you can would help. Observe the main photographer, try not to get in the way of him and the videographer. Don't invest too much on your present set of gears. As you accumulate more experiences you will figure out what you need. It might be either Nikon or Canon depend on what is more available at your local gears rental place. Special, expensive piece that you need, but don't often use will come from there. It easy to say I help out at a relative's wedding, and my pictures are great. That doesn't mean people will want to hire you. You will need to do many of those to build up a portfolio. With that you will try for an apprenticeship. You need to work all the mistakes out of your system come up with fixes on the fly before you are ready to charge money.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Professional photographers are the best for the hire in to your wedding for photography and the best wedding photographer is one who have all the qualities of capturing photos of your Venue , Reception , Your wedding theme and environment of your all wedding specially the Reception guests & have a great quality of DSLR camera for making the photos the professional wedding photographer have all this qualities and tricks for captured the photos.......

Brakay Photo Shoot

·
Registered
16 Posts
Wedding photography

I have done several weddings with great success with my Canon 7D and lenses "borrowed" (rented) from Borrowlenses.com. These guys are great to do business with,have EVERYTHING you may need to shoot anything. For weddings I am partial to the Canon 70-200 f2.8II L and the Canon 24-70 f2.8 L these are pro grade lenses that if bought outright would total approx.$3700.00 but can be rented at a small fraction of that and will give superior results. :thumbup1:
Btw using an external flash with a flash bracket is essential to avoid "red eye"

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would go for a Canon 1100D or older 1000D with the lens WatchFan1 mentioned. Stepping up to 500D, 550D, 600D or 650D may add some nice features but won't give you a better picture. It's what the budget allows. You may also like to add a EF 50mm 1.8 prime. $99 lens that can make beautiful bokeh wedding pictures and good for low light shooting.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.