WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, first post... I recently became interested in watches while reading about what I should wear to several upcoming interviews (professional school). I want to project a professional appearance, obviously. It didn't take much research on watches before I became fascinated by mechanical watches (thanks to whoever it was that posted that 1940s Hamilton video!!), but I'm not sure I can afford one.

My budget is about $100-$120, waaaaaay out of the range of the Hamiltons and IWCs that have grabbed me over the last few days. I like really simple designs, like this quartz seiko (I think this is a stock image, I hope I'm not breaking any forum rules):

Watch Analog watch Silver Rectangle Clock

Is this unsuitable for an interview? It's inexpensive enough that I could wear it casually too.

Basically, if I can get a reliable mechanical watch I'll go for it, but I am on a student's budget... will have to wait a few years to get the IWC portuguese I fell in love with last night.

thanks for any help, this forum has a great community and I'm looking forward to becoming part of it.

·
Super Moderator
16,887 Posts
Hello QC and welcome to both WTF and The Beginner's Forum!
Mechanicals are fascinating, there's no getting around that. But when somebody comes along and says Professional Watch I think of what it looks like on the outside- not the inside. You want something conservative that gives the impression you're a responsible adult. Not something that says 'Hey don't listen to what I have to say, pay attention to my sophisticated taste in watches!' And quite frankly there are 2 conservatively-styled quartz watches out there for every 1 mechanical. And 499 out of 500 people you meet can't tell a quartz from a mechanical anyway- unless they get a look as to whether the second hand jumps or sweeps around the dial. And the person doing your interview will probably be too far away for that sort of thing!,
Another thing to consider is the possible level of watch knowledge the interviewer has. In other words, does he or she have any at all? The average guy on the street thinks only the Swiss are still making mechanical watches. Swiss watches= fine watches. Fine watches = expensive watches. And if this guy (you) can afford a fine expensive Swiss timepiece, what's he doing interviewing for this job? Remember, you're projecting a responsible job seeker...you're not Thomas Crown looking to buy the company.

Am I dissing mechanicals in favor of quartz watches? No, of course not. Merely pointing out that if you're using the watch as a part of your image, it is not necessarily a mechanical that you want. You do have other options.

On the other hand, if the idea of a mechanical watch appeals to you for several, if not many reasons, there's nothing wrong with that either!
And the are lots of choices within your price range as well. The Seiko 5 line is Seiko's entry-level line of watches, conservative and in the area of $100. Also look at Orient. Many models to choose from and many are under $100. The Discount Watch Store carries both brands and it's a place I have done business with. The owner even emailed me to make sure I was happy with my watch (an Orient BTW).

Good luck with your watch, and your interview. Come back and let us know how it turned out- and bring pictures of your selection!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Much appreciated advice, everyone. I like the Seiko5, hopefully I can find one with a leather strap (not a big fan of metal bands). I also like a solar Citizen Eco-drive I found... electrical with a sweeping second hand sounds cool. I'll take my time and keep in touch. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
16,887 Posts
You came back!!!!! Nice choice - but then again, I'm usually kinda conservative in my taste for watches. I'm digging that bi-level dial. Is it black or dark brown? With my particular screen settings it could be either...but it's beautiful! :thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Welcome, and that's a nice pic for what you want in a watch. Chances are whomever interviews you will not be a watch person and won't even notice. You on the other hand know that you have nice classy looking, confidence inspiring watch.

If your interviewer is a watch person, you may have an opportunity to talk about something of a personal interest that would help them get to know you.

Stick around, you will learn A LOT from everyone hear. I have, and continue to.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello again everyone, the itch for an automatic never left, so I saved a little and got this Seiko 5.

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Font

I do love the watch...

Watch Analog watch Rectangle Clock Watch accessory

and thoroughly enjoy looking through the back...

Material property Rectangle Tints and shades Jewellery Strap

but cannot wait to replace this strap. The watch case itself feels sturdy but the steel buckle feels cheap and worthless.

·
Super Moderator
16,887 Posts
I guess that's one of the banes of owning a "5" model. Cheap and worthless is exactly how I would describe the SS bracelet & clasp on mine.
I feel your pain!

·
Super Moderator
16,887 Posts
I didn't.
It still has the factory bracelet and sits in one of the display boxes virtually unworn (I don't think I've ever shown it but once in a WRUW post). I'm not thrilled with it's accuracy either, or the fact you can't use the crown to wind the mainspring. :sad:

For the record, here it is...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.