WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the correct forum or not? Mods please move the thread if it should be elsewhere?

I recently purchased a Audemars Piguet Royal Oak. It was "new" except for the fact that it had been worn by an employee of the AD for a while and hence was sold at a fairly heavily discounted price.

I wore it nearly every day for the first few days after purchase (as you do) and didn't notice any problems. However I gave it a little holiday for a few days and only rewound it today with the intention to wear it.

It was when I re-set the time and date that I noticed that the date change comes at 04:30 (when I would be asleep hence I didn't spot this issue before). I have checked the manual - and as you would expect the date should click over at midnight.

Do you think this watch might have been badly treated by the AD employee who changed the date during that dangerous 21:00 to 04:00 period? (I think those are the times between which some watches date change mecahnism can be damaged if the date is manually altered aren't they?) Is there a simple fix to this issue or am I looking at sending it back to the manufacturer? It's covered under warranty but to say this is annoying is putting it mildly.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards,

·
Banned
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It might be a simple adjustment so take it back and ask if it can be straightened out.
I know this is going to sound ridiculous (potentially) but I have never had a problem with a watch before so I just don't know.

When you say it might be a simple adjustment does this mean the AD might be able to solve the problem? Are they allowed to open the case and re-allign / mend / tinker under whatever "warranty rules" apply? I thought it would just automatically get sent make to the manufacturer? No?

·
Banned
28,291 Posts
I know this is going to sound ridiculous (potentially) but I have never had a problem with a watch before so I just don't know.
It's okay if you didn't know. Nobody knows until they know, you know?

When you say it might be a simple adjustment does this mean the AD might be able to solve the problem? Are they allowed to open the case and re-allign / mend / tinker under whatever "warranty rules" apply? I thought it would just automatically get sent make to the manufacturer? No?
If they have a qualified watchmaker who's been through proper training then it's okay. If not, they might have to send it to an AP service center. Get it done quickly so there's no questions asked.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.