WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I picked up my new m16 (used). So far pretty happy, but some issues. If anyone experiences the same ?

Date set button: 1 seem to hit this button about 10 times a day. Every time i reach in my pocket. By the end of the day I'm 5 days ahead. A little fristrating but fixable. Button is not in the best location.

The big issues
It stops running : I have worn this watch 24/7 since I got it. But if I dont manual wind it, it stops dead about every 2-3 days or so. I shake wrist a little and it starts back up.
Im new to autos. Should it be stopping this often ?

·
Registered
739 Posts
So I picked up my new m16 (used). So far pretty happy, but some issues. If anyone experiences the same ?

Date set button: 1 seem to hit this button about 10 times a day. Every time i reach in my pocket. By the end of the day I'm 5 days ahead. A little fristrating but fixable. Button is not in the best location.

The big issues
It stops running : I have worn this watch 24/7 since I got it. But if I dont manual wind it, it stops dead about every 2-3 days or so. I shake wrist a little and it starts back up.
Regarding the movement winding "issue" you've been experiencing: The Slava movement used in the M16 is a twin barrel movement and as such will require more "activity" to keep the movement wound up enough to function. My friend who sold me the M18 I currently own was experiencing issues exactly the same as you describe. He sent it back to Lum-Tec to get checked out and everything was fine with the watch, the issue was that he (his wrist) was just not active enough in his day job to keep the Slava movement sufficiently wound.

Regarding the placement of the quick date change pusher: I don't know if I agree that it's poor placement for a pusher... many chronos have had pushers located in the exact same spot above and below the crown for quite a while now and they've seemed to have done OK. :001_tongue:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Appreciate the response. Great info! Its my first lum-tec and also my first auto so I'm learning as I go.

Yea I just constantly seem to keep hitting that date button. Just need to be more mindful to wind it regularly and not hit the button I guess.

Thanks again

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
These are all pretty much known issues with the Slava movement and the quick-set date button, although personally I've not had much problem with the latter on my M18.

It seems strange to me that you are having problems with both auto winding AND the quick-set date button, as the latter suggests that the activity in which you are wearing the watch does involve quite a lot of wrist activity. Maybe the button on yours is very sensitive??!!

I do tend to wind mine anytime before I put it on, even if I am wearing it continuously for a few days. Of the LÜM-TECs I've owned, it's the least accurate and has the lowest reserve, but it's probably the most loved :001_smile: because of the idiosyncrasies it brings to my life. In my experience, give it a few weeks. If you think it's not working properly, send it in to Chris for a service. But if you don't love it, flip it -- someone else will.

·
Registered
739 Posts
[...]

I do tend to wind mine anytime before I put it on, even if I am wearing it continuously for a few days. Of the LÜM-TECs I've owned, it's the least accurate and has the lowest reserve, but it's probably the most loved :001_smile: because of the idiosyncrasies it brings to my life. In my experience, give it a few weeks. If you think it's not working properly, send it in to Chris for a service. But if you don't love it, flip it -- someone else will.
Considering the LTs that you've owned and currently own, that's high praise!

I personally haven't had an issue with the Slava movement staying wound up, but I'm a compulsive watch winder, so... :biggrin:

·
Registered
739 Posts
Appreciate the response. Great info! Its my first lum-tec and also my first auto so I'm learning as I go.

Yea I just constantly seem to keep hitting that date button. Just need to be more mindful to wind it regularly and not hit the button I guess.

Thanks again
Echoing what timbo said, give it a couple weeks and then see how you feel about it. The M16/M17/M18 are highly sought after pieces and you should have no problem unloading it at little to no loss if it still bugs you.

BTW, have you taken a look at the M49? The M49 has a very similar overall look, case and dial-wise, to the M16 but it lacks the quick date change pusher (which would alleviate that annoyance for you) and the newer Miyota 9015, which stays wound with much less effort than the Slava movement requires. I know it'll cost more money, even purchased used, than the M16, but if you're attached to the M16's aesthetics but less so to it's internals, the M49 would be a nice alternative. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,194 Posts

The big issues
Honestly, there is no good location for a date set button for me. It either changes going into my pocket or coming out or some other way. Some people never have an issue with it, but I'm like you, I'm a month ahead in a few days.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea so far I really enjoy it. Have been a big fan of lum-tec for years, and kept an eye out for a used one in my price range for some time and finally got lucky. Was also looking for the M49. If I had my way it would be the Tungsten M27! Hopefully one day.

It is used so the anti glare is coming off a bit around the edges of the crystal. While I like the look, not so much with it chipping around the edges Debating picking up and taking it off with the cape cod cloth (also learned about this on the forum).

thanks all for the input ... Great forum!

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
If it bothers you too much, hit me up!! On the other hand, if you really want to, I think you can disable that pusher. I remember reading that it is possible as some have done with their slava M's..

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If it bothers you too much, hit me up!! On the other hand, if you really want to, I think you can disable that pusher. I remember reading that it is possible as some have done with their slava M's..
Let me know if interested in it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I used to bump the date button as well. Not quite that much but at least once every couple weeks. As for the movement not winding, my M16 was doing that as well but after I sent it in to Lum-Tec they were able to fix it. I did notice that it would get slow after a few days but never stop like it used to.
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I used to bump the date button as well. Not quite that much but at least once every couple weeks. As for the movement not winding, my M16 was doing that as well but after I sent it in to Lum-Tec they were able to fix it. I did notice that it would get slow after a few days but never stop like it used to.
Hope that helps.
I don't remember why, but Lum-Tec changed the spring sets in the double barrels. It isn't a problem for me, mine winds because I'm really active, but is never wound even close to max. It will maintain, but I do wind it. And when I wind it, sometimes it feels as though it is grinding glass into powder. I just keep winding.

That said, it is a really hardy and accurate movement when adjusted properly -- as is mine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts