WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Invicta chronograph that will not run after a battery change. I changed the battery. Put it in like I took it out. The Chronograph works, but it will not run the time hands.
I had read that sometimes it has to be 'shorted out' before the back is replaced. Tried that...nope. Any solutions? Thanks. Greg

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Material property

Attachments

· Administrator
8,022 Posts
There are a number of you-tube videos on replacing Invicta chrono batteries. I'm curious though.... did you check the voltage on the battery you removed? If it still shows something near 1.5v then it may be a problem with the movement itself.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are a number of you-tube videos on replacing Invicta chrono batteries. I'm curious though.... did you check the voltage on the battery you removed? If it still shows something near 1.5v then it may be a problem with the movement itself.
I watched several YouTube videos on 'how to change Invicta battery', and none pertained to my watch. The battery was very old. Maybe 20 years. Could not believe it lasted that long. Did not check voltage though. I took it to a watch repair and she said she was not authorized to work on Invicta watches. Another told me I should 'short it out' and it should show that on the movement. It didn't. Did not have the watch with me. Guess I need to seek out a dealer that is actually authorized!
I did a search on Invicta site and could not 'my' watch. Took a very long time to view all their watches.

· Super Moderator
5,836 Posts
Since you have had the watch open, please provide a picture of the movement. Once you determine who made the movement and which model it is you should be able to find an instruction manual. It might help you out of this situation.

· Administrator
8,022 Posts
You dont need to take your watch to an 'authorized' Invicta dealer. Sounds like you ran into one person who didn't know what to do (or didn't want to work on an Invicta) and another who had no idea what they were talking about. Yes, some quartz watch movements need to be 'shorted out' to restart them after a battery change but nearly every single one I've seen has been marked in that regard. Most start right up once a new battery is firmly in place. Most reputable jewelry shops offer some basic watch repairs onsite and can test the movement to ensure that it still in working condition.

· Super Moderator
5,836 Posts
Since you seem to be reluctant to provide a picture of the movement, or perhaps you are busy and haven't had time to respond, I did some general research based on the dial layout and appearance of the sub dials. I think you have a Miyota caliber 0S60 movement. Either go on line and find the proper instruction manual or go to this site and see if a simple reset will fix your issue.
https://calibercorner.com/miyota-caliber-0s60/ .

And of course I could be wrong and that isn't your movement. It's a best guess. You need to find the instructions for your movement.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry... been out of the state. SFwatchGuy, you are correct! That is what I have. Took the back off again and it looked like no markings at all. Got the mag out and found exactly what you show.
One thing I did notice was that the battery is not sitting flat in the space. The clip was not holding it in place. Fixed that, but still doesn't move min/hr hands. Will have to find a dealer that will/can work on it. Interesting to see on that site that a replacement was around $30. May have to go there....
Thanks for the help. At least I have a manual. I usually keep those.

· Super Moderator
5,836 Posts
The trouble is first finding a watch repair shop and then trying to convince yourself you like the watch enough to pay the cost. I think I saw a couple similar watches on ebay for around $100. BTW, most Invictas come with a very generic manual.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The trouble is first finding a watch repair shop and then trying to convince yourself you like the watch enough to pay the cost. I think I saw a couple similar watches on ebay for around $100. BTW, most Invictas come with a very generic manual.
I'm sure they want more than what I paid for it. Got it on a cruise ship and since I got 3 watches, got a deal. I think it was around $50. Sure has been a good watch. Hard to see, but the edge dial is actually dark green. Will see how things turn out. Cannot find one like it on Invicta's site.

· Super Moderator
5,836 Posts
Contrary to what you hear, Invicta watches do seem to be well made and they use dependable movements. The problem is their selling tactics. High MSRPs and then sell for pennies on the dollar. Makes them seem very cheap and it's hard to justify spending more to fix a watch than you spent on the original purchase. I have also never heard a good story about Invicta service.

· Read Only
7 Posts
Try another battery. I've had "new" ones that did not work or were weak.

A worse possibility is that you nicked the coil when replacing the battery...I've heard of that situation ruining quartz movements.

Give us an update when you can.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts