WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just my imagination, or have prices been going up lately on 214s?

And the ones that I've seen bringing these prices don't seem to be in that great of condition, with visible rust spots, worn cases, badly scratched bezels & crystals, non-original bands, etc.
I've been looking to pick up a specific model (a day/night), but every time I find a decent 214 of ANY kind, it sells for 2-3 times more than I would expect, and it's not nearly as nice as I'd like.

What are your thoughts on the way values are going? Is it reasonable to expect to get a nice 214 for $500 or less, or are they all north of that now? When I see an extra-clean watch, it's closer to $1,000... especially if it has the original box & papers.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I see 214's in the 100-150 depending on condition. Special models like spaceviews are 325-425. Astronauts are 400-500. ANything 14K sees over 600 almost every time. Obviously there are times when these numbers mean nothing, but it's what I use. I have noticed that SS 214's for parts, or good coils but not running, hang out in the 100 range on a good day. I got 180 for a SS 214 working with a 14K bezel ring. I think photography has a lot to do with it honestly. But yes, I think the prices are going up

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Pre-Christmas? All watches seem to get pricier during this time.
Even before Holiday time the prices were increasing. I watch listings for Accuquartz watches regularly. Last year they were relatively cheap. Now, their price has climber as folks have realized what they really are. Although, I did just purchase a dialed movement of unknown function for $9.77. As for other Accutron models, others here who have been surfing for those Have a better handle on what has happened to prices.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I haven't noticed the prices of the common watches going up much but the prices of the collectible ones sure seem to be going up. I've been concentrating on solid gold watches to try to keep them from being melted, and because I like them. Per some other posts I've done, I want a gold 218 just for the case, I don't care about the movement or the dial. I recently spotted one with an oil company logo on the dial and thought I'd be able to buy it for a reasonable price. Wrong !
I recently bought a day/night Astronaut, maybe I was bidding against you. They are hard to find with a bezel that isn't pretty badly chewed up and the one I got sure doesn't have a pristine bezel but it's better than most and seems to have the original bracelet but I was surprised at how much I had to pay for it to get it.
I don't think you are going to get a very nice Astronaut very much under $500.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Mine is decent and I got it for under 300. THen I put a NOS $90 champion band on it. It needed a second hand pinion. I should service it soon too, but it runs and isn't very banged up. Also I don't have the box, but then again, I have no boxes

·
Banned
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I recently bought a day/night Astronaut, maybe I was bidding against you. They are hard to find with a bezel that isn't pretty badly chewed up and the one I got sure doesn't have a pristine bezel but it's better than most and seems to have the original bracelet but I was surprised at how much I had to pay for it to get it.
I don't think you are going to get a very nice Astronaut very much under $500.
I probably was bidding on that! haha! Sorry to run the price up on you.
I agree completely that $500 seems to generally be the minimum price for an Astronaut (with original band) that isn't complete junk.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
You said, 'I want a gold 218 just for the case.' I said I have a gold 218 watch case without the movement for sale. Send me a PM.
Just a helpful hint: When responding to a specific post, respond with a quote of that post so the person knows your response is meant for them. Helps us all. Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Please tell me more about the 218 case. A picture would help a lot. I'm pretty much looking for a solid gold one.
14K Gold Case. Front is nice conditon. Back shows some scratches...not bad. No presentation or engraving. M6. Case only, no movement, no bracelet. Crystal is very nice. Prefer PM for further details.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.