WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had this model in for review for a couple of weeks and am pretty impressed:

The watch is very clearly targeting the Rolex Datejust/Day Date crowed - $23,000.00 retail price.

It has screwed in adjustable links - first I've seen on an Omega. The caliber 8501 is pretty darn impressive and nicely decorated. But thanks to the Co-Axial escapement it's got a wonky beat speed - 25,200 VPH.

Thought you guys might like to see the pix! :cool:

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
Thanks John

I saw the same on on a leather strap a couple of months ago and was very impressed. Too occasional for me but a visual treat all the same.

I'm no expert on movements of course but surely the lower beat speed means less wear on the movement. After all, another watch with a slow beat rate beat all comers to be chosen by NASA all those years ago.

I could have stayed at the AD all afternoon just admiring the cal 8501 - thanks again for the pictures :001_smile:

Be well now

ZIN

·
Registered
246 Posts
Tried on two of the plain jane stainless models with leather straps in Vegas a couple of days ago. Hard to walk away from. Really like the size, weight, and feel....looks even better than it's photos. Price was fairly reasonable too. I'll be interested to hear how the test goes. If I didn't want another Speedy so bad it would be on my wish list.
Mike

·
Premium Member
24,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Houston - the lower beat speed requirement is born from Omega's trial and error experimentation with the Co-Axial escapement and the lubrication requirements of any movement to which the Daniels escapment is fitted. Personally, I'd go with a traditional escapement and a more stable high beat movement speed of 28,800 VPH.

·
Banned
2,275 Posts
Checked one out earlier this week (the SS on leather), and was really impressed by it... I would prefer it a tad smaller, but this size isn't really a problem... I like the design, but the real treat is the movement IMHO. It just looks wonderful. Don't really know about any big advantages or dis-advantages about a speed of 7 beats/second other than it's more than 6 and less than 8 ;)... Price is a consideration though... €4,610 over here, isn't cheap for any watch IMO (that makes $6,775 :scared:)

Thanks for the pictures... Love that movement shot... :thumbup1:

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I'm not sure about the HV. Sometimes I like and other times I'm :confused1:

John's pictures, as nice and well shot as they are, just make me think I'm too young for this watch. I've always opted for divers and dive style watches. I'm just starting to appreciate some vintage pieces so my tastes are beginning to diversify a bit. But the styling on the HV is just a bit too conservative for my liking. But I'm hoping it's like Stilton cheese and David Bowie. 5 Years ago I couldn't stand Bowie and 2 years ago Stilton would make me want to vomit. But I persevered and I have more Bowie tracks on my iPod than anything else and I ate a huge slab of mature Stilton the other evening.

So maybe there is hope for the Hour Vision and me :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
For me the styling of the new Hour Vision is about 85% of my taste. So, normally there would be many more other watches further up my wish list. However, that new manufacture movement with twin barrels, a hacking hour hand and bidirectional winding plus the sapphire case is 100% for me. Which makes this highly desirable. UK price is £3075 for the SS on alligator strap (the one I would opt for). Not sure there's much in the way of dicounts floating about on these though. If I was offered 20% discount, bringing it to £2500, give or take, I'd be interested.

Still not seen one in the flesh yet though.

Thanks for sharing the great pics, John. Can't wait to read the inevitable review.

·
Registered
579 Posts
and I ate a huge slab of mature Stilton the other evening.
Congrats on staying with the Stilton until you matured enough to appreciate it as one of the 3 great veined cheeses in the world! Roquefort and Gorgonzola being the other two. Interesting, that in this country we are beginning to produce some veined cheeses that offer real possibilities. the Maytag Blue is well known, but we've been getting a product made in Point Reyes, Calif. that, I think, compares well to the best Roquefort. Like wine, the colonies are still learning, but some day... :001_smile:

BTW and conversely, Fergie, I think maybe I'm too old to appreciate the Hour Vision. Those concentric dial markings just look too contrived for my taste. I do, however, look forward to the future offerings with the 85XX movement.

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
American Cheese beyond Monterey Jack - This I have to see, indeed look forward to sampling at some stage.

You make some very fine sweet wines out in California which would go well with the product from Point Reyes. The colonies may still be learning Roger but imho none learn as quickly as America. The wines I love are ample testimony to this. The best over there are equivalent or better than the best from over here and that's been proved time and again in blind tastings. In the midrange, you take the biscuit too ;)

Be well pal and have a happy new year

ZIN

·
Registered
276 Posts
I guess I am like Fergie. I am only 23 and I feel like this is just to much for me. I am extremely attracted to the sporty watches. I can apprecaite the design and craftsmanship and not to mention the movement in this HR, but I just don't know if I would jump on one.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
:)

the HV is a beautiful watch . I think the movement is more beautiful than the dial, although it is very nice. be interested in seeing review John.

diver88:):)

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
BTW and conversely, Fergie, I think maybe I'm too old to appreciate the Hour Vision. Those concentric dial markings just look too contrived for my taste. I do, however, look forward to the future offerings with the 85XX movement.
Interesting times indeed. I'm looking forward to see how the brand develops with the new inner workings.

·
Registered
6,967 Posts
I just love the design of this one, IMHO it looks a lot like a vintage Constellation.

Just a glimp of the past...:blushing:

·
Registered
579 Posts
I just love the design of this one, IMHO it looks a lot like a vintage Constellation.
Agree! And the Connies that look like that are dated looking to my eye. Like my father used to say, "Son, it's a good thing that we don't all like the same woman" and "That's why there's chocolate and vanilla".

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
The art deco styling isn't my thing either but in the flesh the RG which I saw was very impressive. I doubt if I would buy one since the watch isn't me. A Prestige Co-Axial Small Seconds, GMT, Power Reserve or Chronograph would be more to my liking or indeed yearning ;) That said, it's still a looker.

Be well pals

ZIN

·
Banned
2,275 Posts
It seems that the styling is less popular than I would have expected initially... :confused1: I expected everyone to be all over it which doesn't seem to be the case... That can only mean one thing... Nice discounts should be possible in the future :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
24,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looks beautiful, thanks John.

What are your impressions of the bracelet and clasp?

Joel

Much improved bracelet - it actually uses screwed in links which is the first Omega bracelet I've seen to do so.

·
Premium Member
24,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm not sure about the HV. Sometimes I like and other times I'm :confused1:

John's pictures, as nice and well shot as they are, just make me think I'm too young for this watch. I've always opted for divers and dive style watches. I'm just starting to appreciate some vintage pieces so my tastes are beginning to diversify a bit. But the styling on the HV is just a bit too conservative for my liking. But I'm hoping it's like Stilton cheese and David Bowie. 5 Years ago I couldn't stand Bowie and 2 years ago Stilton would make me want to vomit. But I persevered and I have more Bowie tracks on my iPod than anything else and I ate a huge slab of mature Stilton the other evening.

So maybe there is hope for the Hour Vision and me :thumbup:

Fergie - In my honest opinion, this watch is made to compete head to head with the Rolex Datejust/Day Date market...at $23k, this all gold model is priced similarly to an all gold Rolex Day Date model. So it's no wonder you feel young for the watch...these Rolex models are typically sold to older buyers.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts