WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My husband and I are looking into pressure testing his IWC Aquatimer but we're not really sure what it involves.

Can anyone offer their advice and if it's needed?

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
The cost of the equipment required to carry out the test far exceeds the cost of having a good watchmaking service test it for you.
That's a 'good' watchmaker, not Mr Jones at the Mall.

For a watch of that quality and price don't risk it.

·
Super Moderator
15,477 Posts
I don't bother with pressure tests because I never go swimming with a watch on and I have no need for one in the shower! (That's what wall clocks are for.)
The only time my watches get wet is if I'm caught in a July or August cloudburst. And that's only happened twice.

Reactions: OkeefenokeeJoe

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you very much for all your advice - it's very much appreciated and is very helpful.

We have been looking around online and I think we got a bit confused by what we found. We looked at an article from David M Robinson, watched a number of YouTube videos and also read lots of articles we found on Google such as Swiss-Serv .

However, I think my husband has his heart set on a pressure test.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Thank you very much for all your advice - it's very much appreciated and is very helpful.

We have been looking around online and I think we got a bit confused by what we found. We looked at an article from David M Robinson, watched a number of YouTube videos and also read lots of articles we found on Google such as Swiss-Serv .

However, I think my husband has his heart set on a pressure test.
Obviously, your husband is into suffering and anguish.

OkeefenokeeJoe

·
Super Moderator
15,477 Posts
You're welcome. A pressure test certainly can't hurt, and I admit it does give the watch wearer a certain peace of mind. Especially on good watches like IWC. If hubby wants one, by all means, do it.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
What's your location? With that a member may be able to recommend an honest, competent watchmaker to do the test. For example, in Las Vegas, NV, I won't let anyone but Yanni at T-Bird Jewelers touch my watches. Even for sizing. He wasn't in one day so I went to a chain jeweler, and they pushed the link pins through the wrong way, leaving them sloppy in the links to the point that casual wear caused them to work partway out. I had to go to Yanni with my tail between my legs and he took care of it. He even guessed where I'd taken it originally! Now that I've made a short story long, be sure to get a recommendation instead of just going to Joe's Watch Repair and Storm Door Company.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts