WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading tonight Pannerai has watches with a 10 day power reserve. The common ETA 2824 is about 32-34 hours, the 2892 commonly offers around 40.
Some tweaked versions of various ETA movements offer much longer reserves as do in-house movements.

So how important is the length of a power reserve to you?
Is it a selling point?
Will you pay extra for a longer reserve?

After mulling this, I've decided it's no big deal - for me. The base ETA works just fine for me - particularly since I change my watch at least once a day. Since I don't use winders, I'm constantly resetting the time on my autos - using my quartz watches :)biggrin:)!

And as far as power reserve goes, no traditional automatic beats the FOUR YEAR reserve in my Seiko Kinetic Perpetual.

·
Registered
788 Posts
A lot of times, higher grade variations of the same movement can offer a higher power reserve. Seiko offers their Spring Drive, and higher end autos that have 50-72 hours of reserve. It's not that big of deal with me really.

·
Premium Member
6,208 Posts
Not a biggie for me either. The watch is going to wind down, whether it's 48 hrs or 10 days (unless you rotate your watches and get back to it before it winds down). I certainly wouldn't pay a premium just for that feature.

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
I like big power reserve in a watch but my pocket dictates that none will find it's way to my wrist yet. :D

Watches tend to run optimum accuracy when their power reserve are in the sweet zone. Usually as they wind out, their accuracy goes out as well.

Can you imagine the watchmaker winding the main spring to fit into the barrel of an A Lange & Sohn 31day? LOL. That is a long spring.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
I hand-wind all my autos (and of course the hand-winders!) most mornings. so it's not of much importance to me. I don't use winders and when we're out of town they're in the safe and I just wind and set them upon our return. With the Eco-Drives, of course, there is no power reserve issue - we'll never be gone that long!

·
Banned
2,511 Posts
Power reserve is no issue to me,I change the watches I wear often,so I don't even notice how long the reserve is.I don't use winders either,I enjoy winding them,I feel like a child playing with toys.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Well, I find it fascinating, and I would like to own such a beast.
But it is not a priority for me.

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
I like the power reserve complication, but don't care if the reserve is 42 hours or 10 days. It'll be sitting on my winder anyways....

Oh, and BTW, contrary to most WIS's, I absolutely LOATH winding watches!Ugh! Probably something I dislike the most in watches. No sir, don't like that at all!

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
I think it's more marketing than need. Most autos run for 48+ hours. If you wear it or keep it on a winder, the extra 8 days of power reserve is just overkill. It reminds me of divers that can go 36,000+ feet (B&R Hydromax, rated at 11,100 meters). Sure the watch can go to the bottom of the Mariana Trench, but can the diver? Same with 8-10 day reserves....they're selling the extreme, which few people need, and I wouldn't pay for.

·
Registered
16,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You know, I wonder if watch manufacturing companies ever read this stuff. It's great - and honest - consumer feedback

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
I agree it's overkill.. But they continue to make it, so someone pays to buy it.. I also think it's a 'staying ahead of the Jones' thing for many people. We already know most people look at their watch as an accessory and not for it's achievements or technical wonders. So to many, it's bragging rights. No different from someone buying the hottest $10,000 stereo or newest $1,000 cell phone they can get 6 months later for $50. It's something no one else in their circle has...

Now if I was buying a manual wind, I'd want the highest reserve the watch has (not that I'd pay a huge amount extra for it though). Why? See reason #1 in my above post.. I HATE WINDING WATCHES!! :biggrin:

·
Banned
5,433 Posts
Power reserve is no issue to me,I change the watches I wear often,so I don't even notice how long the reserve is.I don't use winders either,I enjoy winding them,I feel like a child playing with toys.

What Larry said.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I think it is a cool complication. It could just be a weekend watch and you'd never need to wind it. That feature alone isn't really that interesting to most of us however.

What IS interesting is HOW they achieve all of that extra power reserve. Panerai's design probably uses a dual barrel design with some very hefty and specialized springs and other components. Those of us that are into movements and horology find this stuff very interesting. These movements are very unique because they have to have several extra enhancements to achieve the 8 or 10 day reserve. I've seen people here that are very concerned with what "grade" of ETA movement they might have. I'd think these extra power reserve watches are very cool movements that are unique in their own right.

I'd speculate that since both the movement is different/special and they aren't produced in high volumes (as it is a niche feature) it will be popular with the collectors.

·
Registered
16,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bull, I'll pull the article I was reading on the Pannerai reserves and rewrite an explanation for you. It was in an Insynch from last year.

·
Registered
348 Posts
It does not matter to me.
Although I will state that I like a Power Reserve Meter on the dial.

Regards,

Gérard M. Diffiné
SARO-Gem US, Inc.
&
Montres Edouard Lauzières - North America

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
not big deal for me.

my daytona lasts about 50hrs, my tag 41hrs, my tissot 38hrs and invictas miyota about 26hrs, just fine to me.

·
Registered
527 Posts
power reserve as a function:- not an issue or importance for me
power reserve as a feature:- a bonus for me in a watch

ULITMATELY, I would want watches of all types, of all complications.

Greedy me or what? LOL

·
Registered
16,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
power reserve as a function:- not an issue or importance for me
power reserve as a feature:- a bonus for me in a watch

ULITMATELY, I would want watches of all types, of all complications.

Greedy me or what? LOL

I like the indicator function, too. Though 30 plus hours is fine with me

1 - 19 of 19 Posts