WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
....The seller got this watch in the mail quickly ......it arrived yesterday, and I finally got a couple of photos.......Tues it goes to visit the watch doc, as it runs more than a little fast ........

and what is it about the tine crowns .......I have rather small hands and I have had trouble winding several watches lately .....including the crown for this one .....and it's the Hamilton crown and it's marked ......I can barely get my findgers on it .......and my only other choice is to use jewelry pliers and I hate to do that as they don't have the sensitivity that fingers do .....and the possibility of winding too tight are there....

but without further ado ....my $36 Hamilton Powell from 1958

and here's the back ......anyone have any ideas how to open the back ? ......is it a front opening watch ?

so there it is ....I think it has a champagne colored dial .......

Reactions: coastcat

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
Take another look at the bracelet.:cool1:

I hope it's in good, usable condition.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Has anyone noticed that some people can take photos of watches ...and those watches are much nicer in person than in the photo ?

well, that's me ...this watch is in much better shape than it looks in the photos.......and the band is actually in very good condition .......

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
Has anyone noticed that some people can take photos of watches ...and those watches are much nicer in person than in the photo ?
If you can squeak out one awesome photo, there is a slot in the Master Photo Thread for a nice Powell with it's original bracelet.:thumbup1:

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When he comes back from the watch doctor, I'll work harder to get a good photo of him ......

·
Registered
186 Posts
and here's the back ......anyone have any ideas how to open the back ? ......is it a front opening watch ?
Looks like it. If you want to dig around inside, you need a crystal lift. Your watch guy probably has one; if not, pick one up from a watch supply place or on the Swamp.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I suspected it was a front opener, then as I was just scrolling down the thread, I noticed that the back shows a bendy, but unbroken line of metal .....which makes me 99.99 % sure it's a front opener ......

the dial looks to be a darker champagne color, and it looks close to immaculate....as does the case. but I still can't find my loupe ....and the crystal also looks good and even though I usually can't see scratches with my eyes, it often shows shadows on the dial that are easy to see....

and it is an award watch which I find often means it wasn't worn much ....and this entire watch bears that out ......while not mint, ...I would grade it ....uhmmm....about a 93% ....keeping in mind that is just a visual look, not magnified....but even the crown, which is often the first thing to show wear ....has a small amount of wear on the ridges but the color is perfectly gold and the same color as the case......

It is not quite as perfect as that 38 Gruen Curvex I had ....it's very close.....

Oh and Coastcat .....hee hee I once tried to re-glue a crystal .......the only other time I felt that incompetent at something requiring the use of my hands was when I tried to use a jewelers saw to cut a rather thick slab of sterling ......,

and while I found that it was a Powell while I was waiting for it to arrive, I used the indentification catalogs to do so , and other than it's name, I know nothing about it ......

if it's a 22 jewel, that's rather a good watch eh ? .....and isn't 770 one of the best of their wind up movements ? ......is it American made movement ? .....it would be a late one then wouldn't it ? .....the back is dated 1960, but the last Powell model was made in 1958

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
A nice Bergeon crystal lift is worth the investment vs a cheaper one.

I think you're going to find a Swiss 6xx under the hood and not a 770. That's just a guess and I could be wrong.

Also, I don't think it's a Powell. The lugs are wrong.

My money is on its a 1957 Edgemere B.

Reactions: Davemcc

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Why Handydan .....you are 100 % correct ....and I do like that ....as the Powell sold for 69.50 and the Edgemere B sold for 95 ! .....they did have the same bracelet as near as I can make out ....

and that would explain why the Powell I found on Etsy looked similar, but not exactly like mine !

and that's why I only deal in watchesw rather than trying to fix them ....my attention to detail, while I do try very hard.......I was born with holes in my brain ...( at least that's the way I explain it ).....not actual holes mind you, but ADHD does affect ability to stay focused.....I got it almost right, in the drawings from the catalog, they do look exactly alike except for the lugs....

BUt the Powell on Etsy looks to have a slightly wider bezel also.....

can you imagine the mess I would make of trying to fix a watch ? ....er...... not a good idea.......

·
Premium Member
1,643 Posts
OK - now it's an Edgemere B then it's de-fie-nightly a 2J 770 movement - unless it's been changed out somewhere along the line. This model is listed as part of the 'Medallion' series (22J 770 in those days) and the cattle dog clearly states 22 jewels. All that, plus that swelling (for want of a better term) on the case back indicates a 22J. A couple of years ago we had a thread here about Bradfords - they came with two movements. The later versions had that swollen case back to take the thicker 22J 770.

So Sal, in many folks' eyes, you now have the best movement ever manufactured in the USofA. Congrats.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I seriously doubt that the seller knew what they had ......prolly cause they didn't mention any of the info on how many jewels and the movement ....

but thanks to you guys .....I do ! ......*rubs hands together with glee* .......:w00t:........

and so just one more question, ordinarily I don't ask, but what is the aproximate value of this watch? ....I really don't have a clue as to what it is worth .......

of course this is after I get it running accurately .....or rather Jerry gets it running .....good ole Jer.......

1 - 13 of 13 Posts