WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys ! ! !

I just finished up with this one and got it all back together a few hours ago.

I few things REALLY make this Elgin stand out from the rest.

1. 9k solid gold trench style case that is post WWI.

2. It has a coin edge bezel, these are rather hard to come by.

3. November 1921 date stamped dial.

4. The original RED 12 Elgin dial has a "Made in England" stamp.

It was quite unfortunate that the original dial had sustained so much damage over the past 90 such as two broken dial feet, a big chip missing and several deep hairline cracks.

The dial was quite rare, it actually has a "Made in England" stamp on the back side, I have only seen one other like this before that had this stamp.

Some things just can't be saved ! ! !

So, I replaced it with something almost as rare, an enamel Elgin military dial with a date stamp from November 1921.

This is VERY late for an Elgin date stamped dial, finding them from the early 1920's is VERY difficult.

The 9k solid gold case with a COIN EDGE BEZEL is pretty hard to come by as well, it was made by the Keystone Watch Case Company.

It was made NOT in the United States but in Canada and then imported to England through the Chester Assay Office.

It has the date letter code of "W" for 1922, the sheave of wheat, .375 for 9k gold content but I don't know what the "RC" stand for, sorry.

Many folks think that this "trench style case" was phased out just after WWI had ended but they certainly did not.

This style of case was still VERY popular in Europe and Canada among other places around the world.

Here is the back side of the replacement dial with the November 1921 date stamp.

And now for the best of the rest pictures ! ! ! !

I just installed a brand new mainsping, great amplitude and timing now after cleaning the movement! ! !

And now for the WRIST SHOT ! ! ! !

Some details: Elgin movement serial number 25746552 dating to 1922 (same as the case) and original to each other, grade 467, size 3/0s, 7 jewels, gilted movement.

Re-lumed Elgin military hands for this same dial, original glass crystal, new stem & sleeve, factory crown, new black Bund Strap.

Reactions: G8MP

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Another nice one Stan! That reeding around the bezel sure was a nice design touch for that case! :thumbup1:

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
9k was pretty standard back then and was really only used for export markets such as Canada, Australia and the UK.

Still used over there today.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.