WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

Poor George

2K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  banner 
#1 ·
Thought I'd share a story. My wife and I belong to a city dinner club where about 50 couples get together six times a year and have a cocktail hour and then divide into groups for dinner.

Well, while at the cocktail party, a young woman gave me a compliment about my watch-- I was wearing my Sapphire Ghost. I told her thanks, watches were kind of a hobby of mine. My wife is winking at me from across the room because she knows that I am talking about watches. Her husband is evidently paying attention and jumps into the conversation by saying, "yeah, I used to collect Rolexes, they are the best." My response, "Rolexes are nice watches. I collect Invictas, have you ever heard of Invicta?" He smirks and says, "yeah, I've heard of Invicta, but I didn't know anyone collected them." I replied, "oh yes, lots of people do. I like high quality mechanical watches, but don't want to spend a fortune on them." His wife jumps back into the conversation, "honey, that's what you should do! George had to sell off all of his Rolexes and he's never gotten back into it. George, just look at his watch, you need something like this!" George, obviously irritated, says "maybe someday" and walks off to the bar.

Funny stuff. I get compliments on my Invictas from time to time, but I never get to talk about watches in my social circles. So go figure, the first time it is brought up, someone tries to "big time" me about their superior watch collection, regardless of the fact that it no longer existed because he couldn't afford them in the first place. Classic!:thumbup:

See less See more
#9 · (Edited)
I was in Barney's in NYC last week checking on a certain watch. They have the only limited edition Nixon 51-30's in black IP and black diamonds so I wanted a peek. On the 5th floor they had one left in a glass cage. I started to talk to the sales lady about the Nixon when she noticed my gold with white MOP reserve speedway. She said that I had a GORGEOUS watch and I told her it was an Invicta. After that outburst I really felt quite satisfied with what I already had on my wrist .

While there are a great many of us who are familiar with 'Victas there are still many high end watch people that are not and certainly they admire our purchases. Our watches are wonderful conversation pieces.

#13 ·
Here is my story about mid and high end stuff...

Another iwatch n my collection is a Tag 2000 with Blue Dial, a former employee always told me my Tag watch was the best looking watch he had seen, he didnt know watches! When I bought my Explorer II, he told me that the Tag was still a better looking watch and looked more expensive than my Rolex.

I have learned over the years, that the NAME really means nothing to 90% of the people, they judge a watch by the looks, you could have a 200,000 dollar watch on your arm and unless the person viewing it knows watches, to them it could be a 67.00 watch from Walmart.

The only people to be truely impressed by watches are people who know watches. In the last 10 years, I have been complimented less than 5 times for my Rolex Explorer II each time the person complimenting the watch either knew watches, or was wearing a Rolex as well. Since getting my Invicta 4469 last week so far I have had 3 people comment on it. This proves to me, it is 100% about the look and styling of the timepiece rather than the brand, as these people who complimented it, have no idea about watches.

This is where Invicta is a success, they have several designs and prices that make it affordable to anyone, of course with this comes the fact that they also must be able to produce to supply the larger customer base. The name companies obviously can only produce so many pieces therefore they need to have a higher price tag to meet the bottom line.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.