WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
If it was a high end fairly recent watch that had no box etc I would wonder how much the original owner had valued and looked after it. My watches are kept on winders or in a watch box but all of the original packaging and paperwork are carefully stored in my attic. They don't take up any room in the house. On the very rare occasion that I have sold a watch:confused1: the first thing I have been asked was if I had the boxes and papers. It also helps if the watches are ever stolen and you need to make an insurance claim. As has already been said with a vintage watch it is just a nice little extra.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Indicator

Sometimes the availability and condition of box and papers can be an indicator of the way the watch was treated by the owner. One who pays attention to keep the box and papers in good condition over the years most likely takes good care of the watch as well. You will also find that owners who have the box and papers are typically also in possession of extra bracelet links and other parts, which they keep in the box. So - to me it's a big plus and something that I pay attention to. :001_rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,632 Posts
Sometimes the availability and condition of box and papers can be an indicator of the way the watch was treated by the owner. One who pays attention to keep the box and papers in good condition over the years most likely takes good care of the watch as well. You will also find that owners who have the box and papers are typically also in possession of extra bracelet links and other parts, which they keep in the box. So - to me it's a big plus and something that I pay attention to. :001_rolleyes:
Well said, saved me a lot of keystrokes!:001_smile:

I will echo what some have said in that with vintage I won't care as much if B&Ps are absent, nor will I pay a high premium if they are present.

Reactions: CometHunter

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
I have plenty of boxes. Sometimes papers are important if a multi function timepiece or there's a complicated setting system. I certainly don't want to pay a lot extra just to have them. Even though I wind up moving some pieces when I buy I buy for my personal pleasure and not with the thought of selling. Great point about how one who has B&P is probably more inclined to take better care of watches. With fellow forum watch enthusiasts its generally not an issue.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts