WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Gov. Christie gets a lot of press because he's supposedly a Republican, but sides with the President often.

He recently make a statement criticizing the NRA for a recent video ad they made (which you can read about here: Christie: NRA ad with Obama daughters).

From the article:

"To talk about the president’s children, or any public officer’s children, who have—not by their own choice, but by requirement—to have protection, and to use that somehow to try to make a political point is reprehensible," Christie said.

"The president doesn’t have a choice, and his children don’t have a choice, of whether they’re going to be protected or not," the governor said. "It’s awful to bring public figures' children into the political debate. They don’t deserve to be there."
Oh REALLY? The President and his family have no choice in the matter? Let's fact check that with the following from the Secret Service web site:

--------------------------------------------
Protection for Presidential Candidates

In regard to presidential campaign, the Secret Service is authorized by law (18 United States Code § 3056) to protect:

Major presidential and vice presidential candidates and their spouses within 120 days of a general presidential election. As defined in statute, the term "major presidential and vice presidential candidates" means those individuals identified as such by the Secretary of Homeland Security after consultation with an advisory committee.

The Secret Service provides protection for major candidates, unless declined. The Secret Service has no role in determining who is to be considered a major candidate.
----------------------------------------------

The law authorizes Secret Service protection - it does not require it Gov. Christie. In fact, Obama seems to like the idea of armed security so much, he recently signed into law H.R. 6620, the Former Presidents Protection Act of 2012, granting lifetime Secret Service protection to all former presidents, their wives (unless they remarry), and their children under the age of 16. The fact that Gov. Christie would miss that point makes it perfectly understandable that he would miss the point of the NRA's add to begin with...which is that it's the highest hypocrisy for government "leaders" like Barrack Hussein Obama to ask Congress to take tools of self-defense away from law abiding citizens who wish to defend themselves and their families, while in nearly the same pen stroke guaranteeing himself and his family the right to such armed protection (at the expense of same tax payers he's removing such defensive capabilities) for the rest of their lives!!!!!

I honestly don't know where Christie stands on gun control (though given that NJ has pretty stiff gun control laws on the books, I wouldn't doubt that he's all for it) but he ought to just stop calling himself a Republican and finally throw in with the Democrats or at the very least the Independents.

The NRA ad wasn't about the President's daughters...it was about his hypocrisy.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Well ya know.....Politicians live by a different set of rules and benefits as us regular folks, they get full health benefits and full retirement benefits and on and on and on ............

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Ulackfocus -- " American politicians, particularly the corrupt and idiotic "

Any other kind is pretty rare and they don't stay that way very long but the blame goes to the idiots who elect them. We get just exactly the politicians we deserve.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Good for Christie... He sounds intelligent. Not worried about party lines, saying what he feels. Is this a republican forum? God I've got to stop reading when the thread is labeled political, it's obviously bashing of the left. What ever happened to just sucking it up, and rooting for the president and our country to succeed. sorry to say it, but rep and dem are the same exact thing! They're talking heads, being funded by different groups and pandering to whom ever will pay. Was bush jr all that great??

·
Registered
499 Posts
I for one didn't think he sounded very intelligent given the rather significant factual error he made.

Galacticaly so compared Obama, yes.
Galactically so? I hope that's a joke... In every major poll bush consistently ranks near the bottom, whereas Obama ranks near the top. There's some truth in the thinking the only reason Obama beat McCain was do to how horrible bush was as the president. How soon we forget...

·
Registered
15,299 Posts
What's all this got to do with watches?
Just FYI, ....a perhaps you have not noticed yet, THIS forum is "exactly for that"....,non-watch related topics.

Besides, in America we have the best politicians that money can buy.
LOL, that's a good one ;)
(...and sadly, that statement can be applied globally)

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Presa Canary -- "What ever happened to just sucking it up, and rooting for the president and our country to succeed "

It is one thing for the president to succeed, quite another for the country to succeed. For the country to succeed, this president must fail.

Presa Canary -- "Is this a republican forum? "

I suspect that, due to the average age of watch enthusiasts, it probably is. One of my college professors told me that " If you're not a Democrat at age 21 you have no heart, if you're not a Republican by 35 you have no brain. "

·
Premium Member
24,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In every major poll bush consistently ranks near the bottom, whereas Obama ranks near the top. .
Firstly, while you're certainly welcome to your own opinion and way for arriving at it, I for one don't base mine on popular opinion polls. In my opinion poll, Obama ranks last. Bush had his faults, but I'd take him every day of the week and twice on Sunday over BHO. I'd also like to point out that nearly have the US population voted against reelecting BHO.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I suspect that, due to the average age of watch enthusiasts, it probably is. One of my college professors told me that " If you're not a Democrat at age 21 you have no heart, if you're not a Republican by 35 you have no brain. "
Did your professor actualy believe that there is (was) a difference between Democrats and Republicans? If he did, he is very naive. If you currently believe that, you are very naive. There is no discernable difference between the two parties, sure one says one thing and the other says something different, both govern exactly the same.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I take some exception to be called naive and see no reason for such a characterization or any reason to believe that your intellect or knowledge of the world exceeds my own. Let's be careful lest this thread be terminated.
Yes, I believe there are some differences between Democrats and Republicans, they are not as stark as I would like but they are there.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Was not ment to insult, don't take my comment as such. Besides retoric, I see no difference. If you do please let us know. In my life there has never been a Republican administration who made the Federal Government smaller, though many have stated their beliefs in small government. Nor in my life has a Republican administration lowered the national debt, yet they claim to be fiscal conservatives. No defence of Democrats from me on these issues of course, but I do have a brain, I'm over 35, and I am not a Republican. According to your Professor that can't be. One of us must be wrong then.

·
Registered
20,788 Posts
God I've got to stop reading when the thread is labeled political, it's obviously bashing of the left. What ever happened to just sucking it up, and rooting for the president and our country to succeed. sorry to say it, but rep and dem are the same exact thing! They're talking heads, being funded by different groups and pandering to whom ever will pay. Was bush jr all that great??

While most of the topics have been trying to provide education to the left, there has been no bashing in any of the posts. Please do show where the 'bashing' occurred. I think, if you apply a neutral eye, you'll see you're mistaking civil and informative discussions as bashing.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Ummm.... Seriously? If I need to point out the bashing to you, you shouldn't be trying to provide any of your right wing "education" to anyone. Just keep on learning from rush and oreilly, which are obviously your avenues for knowledge...

·
Registered
16 Posts
I disagree the Secret Service document is about presidential CANDIDATES not sitting presidents... The little shrub was a worthless president... 2 unfunded wars, the patriot act etc. Just my opinion :001_tt2:

·
Premium Member
2,632 Posts
I disagree the Secret Service document is about presidential CANDIDATES not sitting presidents... The little shrub was a worthless president... 2 unfunded wars, the patriot act etc. Just my opinion :001_tt2:
QFT & E.

Even if it weren't solely about candidates, it's a bit of a strawman argument. Everyone with half a brain knows why, so I won't bother to get into it here as the membership as a whole is more than qualified in that department.

Reactions: edtek
1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.