WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

Polished pre-owned pieces?

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  CometHunter 
#1 ·
Hi guys. Some advice needed please.

I really am needing to scratch a GMT itch that I have.
I have always loved the Omega Seamaster 50th Anniversary GMT model which is of course discontinued now.
I've been on the look out for a good condition, pre-owned watch and have been scouring the internet (eBay, Chrono24 etc...) and I keep seeing these watches being sold from Japan but that have been 'Polished'! I've always bought new up until now so am a bit warey... Should I steer clear of polished pieces or are they ok? I've heard that polishing can really change the weight/look of the watch.
Any advise is really appreciated!

#2 ·
I have a hard time thinking of buying a used Omega (but I am not a huge collector of Omegas either). I buy several other brands that vary in age from 50-100 years and many times they have been 'restored' polished/brushed. Its inevitable in order to bring some clean look back to them(remove imperfections etc). But most of mine are $1500 or less so its not a big deal for me. I am probably too OCD to but a used Omega from japan. Its just not on my radar as to a watch I would wish to pursue. Its a tough call either way. If you want a particular watch, you go where they are being sold, but just use caution. I have looked at a few Omegas Stateside that I fancy and always look for the more 'minty' ones that show more original look,documentation etc. But they are usually more expensive. I would have a hard time shelling out $3000-$6000 for a watch overseas unless I had good references and contacts that could steer me to a good deal. I have never reached that point on Omegas. Good Luck!!!:thumbup1:

#5 · (Edited)
Lately, Ive been getting into Buffing....

Its a really fascinating part of renovations, but only really suitable for watch-cases that were already a high gloss/mirror finish. Its quite incredible how buffing can transform--what looked fit for the bin into something that at least looks respectable, and with patience a really nice--getting on for perfect--finish can be obtained.

Ive an Omega Speedsonic that has a two-finish case, high-mirror edging and brushed sides/bezel. The case, while presentable is far from perfect, but I would certainly not buff the whole thing, it would look just plain wrong if it was all high mirror finish....

#6 ·
And (probably) needless to say: you have to think twice about buffing those plated pieces. You really don't know how thin the plating is, or (if the watch is second-owner) how much plating is left.
It really is easy to buff right down to the metal underneath, and then your watch looks worse than before you started.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.