WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a couple of things I would like to ask some of you who also own a Planet Ocean.

Ijust noticed right now since where I am we just past 12am about an hour ago. I noticed that the zero on the 30 on the date is missing on the left side of the zero towars the middle a little bit of white of the number. It looks as if it is a little bit chipped. This concerns me since the watch is only about 3 weeks old. I will try to show some pictures later. You see,I could have never noticed this when I was purchasing it, so it comes as a surprise to me.

My last question concerns this AF coating. Do you think the actual coating is more prone to smudges as compared to other crystals that do not have that coating

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
OKay, here are two pictures of the 30 that I was talking about

close up

Now, I know that I may be getting a little picky, but I would presume that I should expect a little bit more attention to this from Omega. The watch is new, so I really don't know if I should worry about this, send it in, or just put it behind me and when I do send it in, to inform Omega about it. Thoughts?

·
Registered
6,084 Posts
:blink:

O.K., I see what you're talking about now.

I am about as picky as most people can stand and that would be a slight problem for me.
did you buy this at an AD close to you?

If I had discovered this just a few weeks into ownership I would,

#1. not panic, one way or the other it will be resolved.

#2. take it to the AD where purchased (if feasible) and see what they suggest.

#3. if for any reason that does not net a satisfactory outcome, I would send that second picture in an email to [email protected] along with a scan of your three red cards showing the purchase date and inquire as to the best course of action. Maria Mastrodonato is who I would reference in that email.

those are the steps I would take. starting with the dealer trying to get them to make a swap. then move to other measures. now with that said, if it was going to be a huge deal or problem and the watch performs very well and I never planned on selling it, I would just accept it as it was different.

it might be easily identified with that small anomaly, have you checked all the numbers on the date wheel?
I have found Omega to be very good in the CS department, although you will want to give Maria maybe 10days + for a response if you need to go that route.

I'm sure some other fine folks will have some suggestions, maybe better than mine.. hope this helps.. Michael, remember #1 :thumbup1:

diver88:):)

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The watch performs extremely well and I have had no complaints. That is just the only thing. It boggles the mind to be honest how that could have left Omega like that. I guess it is so small no one would notice.

Thank you so much diver. I will attempt all of those, if need be. I truly appreciate it.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I believe it will not be possible to see the AD since the AD is really far away from me. I, more than likely, will go the route of e-mailing Omega.

·
Registered
129 Posts
hi mike,

i am actually not too picky as things go, but that would bother me as i agree that that date wheel should have been caught by quality control.

i am sure if you follow diver88's advice on emailing the info, it will be taken care of....sadly you may be w/out you handsome po for a little while, but it will all be better in the end.

many happy days with your timepiece.

tony

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know. I was wondering if I should wait until we get close to a year and send it in under warranty. They will invetibly have to open it up and because of that they may change some gaskets or seals? Don't know. I will be contacting Omega anyway. Thank you guys.

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
I would notify your Ad and Omega re the problem sooner than later.Then at your conveinence,within the warranty period get it attended to.

Whilst it might not bother some I would be pis*ed about it and want something done ASAP.

Not that I am super picky it just is a service quality control thing that should have been picked up.Fine for a $30.00 dollar Alpha but a $3000.00 Omega it is not.

Sorry to rain down on your zero.:lol:

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
aaron I appreciate it. It furthers my frustration and makes me realize that I am right and doesn't make me feel dumb for picking at something like this. Thank you

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
You should expect and accept no compromise when dealing with Omega. Of course there is something additional about your Omega that distinguishes it from all others should it ever be stolen.
John

·
Banned
18,138 Posts
Hey Mr Ama1141

That's my line :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

You're right though and I'm sure Omega will only be too happy to put it right for Mike.

Wish you a great start to '08

Be well now

ZIN

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
Hey Mike,

I forgot to answer about the AR coating.

When new and clean it is amazing how clear the dial appears but it seems to be a magnet for finger prints and water drop marks.

The other thing was that I found with my PO was that the AR scratched.Not the crystal just the AR coating.It actually drove me crazy and I polished it off.:w00t:

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You polished it off? Oh wow. That makes me uneasy. How do you go about doing something like that? Could one ask Omega to do it?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have another question

Take a look at the following image which I took from a Rolex thread that I was looking at, sorry John I hope you don't mind:

You see how the Rolex symbol is once it is screwed back in. Well, is the Omega line suppose to do that becuase my PO does not and I am wondering if Omega doesn't do that.

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
The polishing is quite easy with a bit of car polish and elbow grease or even better still some polywatch.Just mask your bezel insert so you dont polish the colour off or shine the alloy outer bezel.:thumbup1:

In regards to the crown and the logo line up that was pure luck or someone has unscrewed it slightly to line up for the photo.:001_rolleyes:

Of the six Rolex subs and GMTs I have owned not one has lined up.I have also had numerous Omegas and none of them or even my new Breitling line up either.

In fact JJ,on another forum,conducted a survey on the Rolex crown not lining up and very few did.I suppose you could call it a one in 360 chance.:001_tt2:

You can always take a pair of vice grips to it and stretch that thread to the correct position.:lol: (Only joking Zin:001_tt2:)

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This is what I got back from Omega:
We thank you for your e-mail and wish to congratulate you for having recently purchased an Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean watch reference 2200.51.00.

We understand that the number 30 of the date window is odd, as per your enclosures.
Although we understand your disappointment in the present state of affairs, you will surely understand that it is somewhat difficult to judge from this end what could have gone wrong in this particular matter.

We suggest you to hand over your Seamaster watch to a qualified watchmaker, for examination and further assistance.
Please feel free to contact our Service Center in the U.S.A. in order to obtain the address of a repair center in your area:

·
Registered
6,084 Posts
:)
Mike ,

have you looked to see where the closest facility is to you?
if indeed you do have an authorized repair facility near you I would drop in and show it to them and see what they allow.
if they give you the news you'd like to hear, you could always send it to Bienne if you wanted.:) good luck..

diver88:):)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts