WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

Please help the newbie

2K views 15 replies 3 participants last post by  christinageiger 
#1 ·
Please help the newbie!:blush: I have aquired a 1949(looked up the serial # on website) Longines watch. Stamped inside the backing is Longines-wittnauer watch co, inc., New York Geneva Montreal K&E 14K 912580, then some hand etchings that are barely readable (I think A4380 then a triangle symbol, a5886 same thing, and last is a9116 maybe?:confused1:). On the backside of the dail is longines watch co swiss seventeen 17 jewels, 22L, unadjusted, with a serial number 7928738. It's silver colored but a yellowish tint on the dial and bezel, so i'm not sure if it's white gold or not being it didnt' specify a "W" behind the 14. It would mean a lot and I'd greatly appreciate any kind of help, thanks!:thumbup:

#3 ·
Hi Christina. K&E (Keuffel & Esser) was the casemaker that was contracted to make the watch's case for Longines in NY. 912580 is the casse serial number, and the hand etchings are service marks put there by watchmakers who worked on it. Anything beyond that is impossible without pictures.

#4 ·
Thanks so far for the response, I will be getting pictures up sometime this morning. In the meantime, it looks exactly like the Longines ANNIVERSERY "12" at this website:Vintage Watches - Collect...Identify...Discuss but only has 12 diamonds on the bezel, not the actual dial. It also has a sterling silver wrist band that says Hong Kong, I recieved it from a family member that has passed on, so Im not sure it thats it's original wristband, or the old one has been replaced. Do wristbands usually state made from somewhere else?

#13 ·
If anyone can please help me with what longines watch it is. Those seem to be the best pictures so far, but being I'm only a couple days into this, I have no idea whatto look for in the value, not a 100% sure if it's as 1949 or if a stainless steel band really goes with this watch or if it got switched out. Thanks so much,excitedly waiting.:thumbup:

#14 ·
Bracelets and straps were dealer installed options back then. A customer bought their watch and then selected what they wanted to wear it on. I'd bet if there was a bracelet it got scrapped at some time in the watch's life when gold prices were high, and replaced with the stainless one on it now. Also, the dial has been repainted - poorly - which will negatively impact the watch's value. It's a generic case, and not a Swiss Made Longines. All this adds up to the value being all in the scrap price of the gold and the stones if they're real.

#15 ·
Hey thank you, that not very good at all. The dail is the face, correct? the yellow tint color with the hour hands? how can you tell? how can i tell if it's a swiss made or not? That really sucks, but hey thank you so much for letting me know this or I would have had no idea. The gold circles that turn in the back, you think those are fake gold too? Just wondering if it's worth anything even doing that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.