WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I like the middle one too. Is it just me or is it hard to tell the minute hand from the hour hand on the first one?

·
Premium Member
1,643 Posts
I'm going for the one on the left. Sucker for blued steel hands and a more original look. Not that I don't like a good redial but - nonetheless....

·
Registered
494 Posts
I would go with the exploding numeral dial also. Although I like the raised yellow gold numerals, they do not seem to fit a white gold watch. AGN would luck stunning, though, on the yellow gold version. On the other hand, the luminous numerals match out to the case, which I prefer.

·
Registered
31 Posts
So, I asked my wife and daughter which they preferred. My daughter (6) prefers the one on the left, my wife prefers the middle one, and I prefer the one on the right. My wife's solution was that we just buy all 3 and we can all be happy. I sure hope she keeps that sort of attitude as I start to buy watches!!!

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I like the middle one too. Is it just me or is it hard to tell the minute hand from the hour hand on the first one?
IMO, the hour hand is the wrong length for this and is probably not original. I may have the right one and will fix that if I do.

Exploding...FTW.
I always thought exploding would be my favorite, but the regular lum just looks right to me.

I would go with the exploding numeral dial also. Although I like the raised yellow gold numerals, they do not seem to fit a white gold watch. AGN would luck stunning, though, on the yellow gold version. On the other hand, the luminous numerals match out to the case, which I prefer.
I agree with all your points, Bob. I don't know why Hamilton paired white cases with yellow numerals for some models. :confused1:

If anyone has a spare normal luminous dial, it'll be Mark. He's out of town right now but said he'd look when he got back. Fingers crossed.

·
Premium Member
2,689 Posts
Tom,

I agree with you. While I thought I preferred the exploding luminous in a Pinehurst, based upon your photos I also prefer the standard luminous dial. It seems just right to me, whereas the exploding dial seems a bit too 'busy' with the detailed bezel design of a Pinehurst.

Just to throw a monkey into the wrench... what about gold leaf? Or black enamel?? I have seen gold leaf in exploding and black enamel in both exploding and standard. All of these I've seen have been in Meadowbrooks, but I presume these dials were interchangeable for a good reason?

When you get a chance could you post a photo of a Pinehurst beside a Meadowbrook? And perhaps a Pinehurst beside an Illinois Blackstone? I've always wondered if their case designs (centers mostly) might have been derivative, but I've never owned a Pinehurst... mostly because I thought they were too small to wear. But now that I wear my Meadowbrook I was likely wrong. (Or maybe as I have collected vintage watches longer, the smaller sizes no longer bother me?)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts