WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few days ago I ran across a guy that had several of these watches, 2 of them like this one (Black IP)and 2 golden Meteorite dials (he wouldn't part with one of those). Anyway, I got a brand new Gibeon Meteorite dialed Ocean Ghost. I have waited for a year or so to finally come across one of these that was still brand new and still in the plastic. I think they released it back in 2008. Specs and pics below. I finally happened to be in the right place at the right time.

• Bracelet: Stainless steel Black IP
• Movement: Swiss Sellita SW200 automatic 26-jewel
• Crystal: Anti-reflective dome Sapphire Crystal
• Dial: Gibeon Meteorite
• Crown: Screw down
• Clasp: Deployant
• Bracelet Measurements: 9" L x 22mm W
• Case Measurements: 47mm
• Water Resistance: 20 ATM 200 meters 660 feet
• Model Number:Black: IN5016

[URL="
[/URL]

·
Super Moderator
16,903 Posts
Sweet! Considering my hobby I'm at a loss to explain why I don't have a meteorite watch yet! That's a great looking dial.

·
Super Moderator
16,903 Posts
Good question- I'd especially be interested in answers from our collectors under the age of 30. When I was becoming interested in mens accessories, (and Lyndon Johnson was President), just about anything MOP was made for women. So naturally, only women's watches had those dials, and I considered MOP to be feminine.

Times change and so do tastes (so I'm told). I'm still uncomfortable seeing MOP on a man's watch, but what do the rest of you think?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Good question- I'd especially be interested in answers from our collectors under the age of 30. When I was becoming interested in mens accessories, (and Lyndon Johnson was President), just about anything MOP was made for women. So naturally, only women's watches had those dials, and I considered MOP to be feminine.

Times change and so do tastes (so I'm told). I'm still uncomfortable seeing MOP on a man's watch, but what do the rest of you think?

Yes I agree, pearl suits female better than us male. I can't see myself wearing a pearl necklace or a pearl bracelet.
But MOP dial watch, I can see myself wearing it. Check out this MOP dial Invicta. Not too feminine.:eek:hmy:

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)

I have 5 Invicta timepieces with MOP dials and love all of them. I think a lot depends on the watch company, as some do a very poor job with MOP dials. Invicta and Deep Blue do a great job on them IMHO. I have 3 in Black. 2 in Blue. And 1 in natural MOP.

This a decent platinum MOP dial execution on a Reserve Pro Diver 7750 I own. They have this watch in a Black MOP that is just unbelievable. You have to see it to appreciate it really.

[URL="
[/URL]

·
Registered
466 Posts
Which one???

I have 5 Invicta timepieces with MOP dials and love all of them. I think a lot depends on the watch company, as some do a very poor job with MOP dials. Invicta and Deep Blue do a great job on them IMHO. I have 3 in Black. 2 in Blue. And 1 in natural MOP.

This a decent platinum MOP dial execution on a Reserve Pro Diver 7750 I own. They have this watch in a Black MOP that is just unbelievable. You have to see it to appreciate it really.

[URL="
[/URL]
Between this Pro Diver MOP dial and your new Invicta 5016 Meteorite dial, which do you recommend? I don't have a MOP dial watch and also the meteorite dial. But I'm planning to get one now after seeing your pics. Which one first???:confused1::confused1:

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Between this Pro Diver MOP dial and your new Invicta 5016 Meteorite dial, which do you recommend? I don't have a MOP dial watch and also the meteorite dial. But I'm planning to get one now after seeing your pics. Which one first???:confused1::confused1:
Thats not an easy question to answer because finding either one of those watches is going to be difficult. That platinum MOP 7750 is out of production and the Meteorite was made in 2008. If you can get a lead on one, I would go with the money. The Valjoux 7750 Reserve Pro Diver. It is one of the most treasured movements in the industry. Pricey but then they are very HQ.You can expect to pay at least $900 to $1100 for a NEW RPD MOP V7750 (if you can locate one,a nice pre-owned one can be had for a bit less money $700-$850) I lucked out when I got the Swiss SW200 Ocean Ghost Meteorite. It was brand spankin new and still mummy wrapped with all the seals in place. One last thing, in spite of what you may hear, that particular watch is made entirely in Switzerland as well as the Meteorite model if that means anything to you. Good luck in your search. If you find one, GRAB it! You will not regret it. Those are GRAIL status pieces.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.