WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Canon A520 digital camera. I tried to take a picture of a Vintage Hamilton pocket watch that my father owns. I could not focus on the watch for a detailed picture. Is it even possible? If so what settings do I use?

Thanks in advanced for responses.

·
Registered
9 Posts
as far as your focus problem goes ...
How far is your lens from your watch?
According to the Canon site, in "normal" mode this camera will focus from 1.5 feet to infinity. In "macro/wide", it will focus from2"-1.5 ft. And in "macro/tele" it will focus from 11.8" - 1.5 ft.
... the first thing to do is to be sure of what mode you are in (macro vs normal).
... next, try focusing on a different portion of the watch - even moving the focal point slightly may help ... the autofocus needs a vertical or horizontal line to "focus in on". It could be that the camera is attempting to focus on an area that has nothing for it to use as a reference.

as to the rest of your question, I'll leave that to one who is more knowledgeable with your camera (or at least with Canon).

Steve

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
:) hello Mr Waterfoul:biggrin:

I would say Mr Cougar hit on the main points very well so try this.

#1. you will need to make sure that the camera is indeed set for macro. most indicate this by displaying a "flower" on the menu on your screen.
#2.put your camera on a tripod or on a table or something that does not move. hand holding the camera during close-up macro does not usually work well.
#3. make sure that the closest part of the watch is no closer than about
2.5" from where the lens meets the body of the camera. I would try 3" or 4" but you can play around with that . (you can always crop your picture)
#4set your camera where the flash does not operate (usually a lightining bolt with the "not" symbol over it) and the camera on "Auto" to begin.
#5. figure out how to set the timer, 2, 5, or 10 secs. you'll want to use this when you take the picture where you don't shake or move the camera when you press the shutter button.
#6 use a lamp or a light source that illuminates the watch and look at the watch thru the viewfinder to make sure there's not a glare on the crystal.
move the light around till you get rid of that.
#7. test your ability to focus by pressing half way down on the shutter, if your camera has multifocus points, see where its focusing and change that if you are able. (multi, center, spot.) if the camera will not give you the focus verified beep, you may be too close or its focusing on something else in the view. play with that.
#8 optional. I have learned by setting my camera on P program mode and setting the ISO to a low number 100 maybe 200 you get cleaner pictures if the light is low there is more noise because the "Auto" function moves the ISO where ever it needs to be according to light.

#9. take a few and see what they look like on your monitor..

this will take some practice. take a lot of pics, you'll get there..

if I left something out or its not clear , please ask..:thumbup:

diver88:):)

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
A problem I have with my camera when trying to get a macro shot is not having enough light.

Some cameras have a focus light, but if you don't you're going to have to get enough light on the subject for the auto-focus to work.

A low battery can also cause focus problems, even if the little doomaflatchy says there's plenty of power, so if nothing else works try changing the batteries or charging them, whichever the case may be.

You might find some helpful information here:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canona520/

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Picture taking to commence prior to drinking the 6 pack(saves on the wobble effect).

I have never used a tri pod for a macro shot, but I am sure I will get one in the near future. Diver88 gives good tips. Your pictures will look completely different when viewed on a full computer screen than in any 2.5 in camera display or viewfinder. I would add, before you delete what you think is a crappy shot, take a second look because it may turn out to be your best ever when viewed on your monitor.

·
Registered
417 Posts
diver88... that's a keeper and should be put in the reference file for newbies. I see that the "Tutorials" section is empty. Haven't looked but perhaps if there are some on the old proboards website there should at least be a link in the tutorial section so that the newbies here can find them.

Another helpful suggestion would be to list who the moderators are for this forum on the opening page of the forum. I'm looking and don't see it when I open this section.

Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts