·
Banned
9,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SOURCE: http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/15314501/detail.html

Group Claims Fraud In 2002 Super Bowl Win

POSTED: 4:35 pm EST February 15, 2008
UPDATED: 6:07 pm EST February 15, 2008

NEW ORLEANS -- Two Kentucky lawyers, a ticket broker and a former NFL player have filed a lawsuit accusing the New England Patriots of cheating in the 2002 Super Bowl.

The plaintiffs in the suit are seeking $100 million from the team and coach Bill Belichick.

The group claims the Patriots defrauded St. Louis fans and players when they allegedly taped a Rams walk-through on the day they won the 2002 Super Bowl. The Patriots upset the Rams 20-17 on a last-second field goal.

"It is the contention of the plaintiffs that but for the videotaping, known and unknown at this time, and based upon the results of the game by a field goal margin, the outcome of the game would have been different,” said Eric Deters, an attorney who filed the lawsuit.

The lawsuit, brought on behalf of former Rams player Willie Gary, two fans who attended the game and a Rams season ticket holder, claims that the alleged taping gave the Patriots an edge that won the game, thus defrauding Rams fans and players out of millions of dollars.

Patriots spokesman Stacey James said Friday, "We don’t comment on these matters," but the Patriots and the National Football League have said there is no evidence that the 2002 taping occurred.

The lawyers allege the Patriots committed fraud, racketeering and breach of contract in addition to violating Louisiana’s unfair trade practices and consumer protection act.

Belichick was fined $500,000 and the team $250,000 for taping the New York Jets during a game this past season.

·
Banned
9,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree. I am trying to get more information; but, I think some lawyers have sued other sports teams with no result as well. They do it for publicity. Unfortunately, it ties up our court systems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts