WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.
I own this Patek Bicolor:
http://www.watchestobuy.com/images/Patek3770s.JPG (example)

Great condition, stored in a safe for 10 years (no batterie, watch checked some years ago).
I wonder: what is the exact name of this watch.

Are there any (the watch seems to be rare) trustfull dealers or sites that could tell me what these watches (if sold) usually are sold for?

Thx alot
Mike

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
Just doing a quick Google it seems to be the "Exception" model. It seems Patek tried to 'blend' the Nautilus and Eclipse into a single model, and it wasn't that well received, thus not many were made. The only 2 I found had one with an asking price of about $8K, but it does not appear to have sold for that. The best way to get a true value in light of the lack of comparisons is to pay for a appraisal on it. Contact your local Patek dealer and see if they have someone who does appraisal. Probably cost you $150 or so, but probably be worth it if you really want to know it's value.

However, just a note the 2 examples I can find online do not have writing at the bottom of the dial like yours does. The picture is too small to read it, so I don't know what it says. Is that an exact picture of yours or something you found that looks like it?

If it was me I'd put a fresh battery in it, have it serviced and wear it. It's a great looking watch that deserves some wrist time!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi. Thanks alot for the answers.
Presa, the batterie I think was taken out years ago, but its at a jeweller right now to look over, and put a fresh batterie in again to let it run a while.

Scott, thats very helpful, thx. Thats about what I also could research meanwhile, but I thought something "not made very often" and rare should (with this name) be worth a bit more.
But its not the price, I am not going to sell it if I am sure it will survice the next 20 years as well as up to now. Then it may be more my style.
Its not my kind of watch to wear these days, I´m more into heavy watches like Panerai or IWC, and usually not into gold.

I will receive more informations from the jeweller in 2 weeks, I will keep you updated then.
Mike

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
Scott, thats very helpful, thx. Thats about what I also could research meanwhile, but I thought something "not made very often" and rare should (with this name) be worth a bit more.

Rare doesn't always equate to valuable. AMC Gremlin's, Ford Pinto's and "New" Coca-Cola are all pretty rare these days, and I doubt any of us would ay they're worth much. Just because it's rare doesn't mean is desirable to the masses.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not comparing your watch to a Gremlin, just giving an extreme example. The luxury brands that had exclusively been mechanical brands all experimented with quartz models in the 70's / 80's. They were terrified of the quartz revolution, and thought they had to in order to survive. In most cases they found out their customers didn't want the quartz and they wanted the complication & 'soul' of a mechanical watch. That's why virtually all of them eliminated the quartz models over time. Those that didn't greatly reduced them to a niche model, usually woman's models as women tent to care less about mechanical and winding of the watch. Patek is one of these brands. Their core customers just don't hold the quartz models in the same distinction or esteem as the mechanical versions. Thus you'll find they almost always have a much lower value. The majority of the 'value' in almost all Patek's is in the value of the mechanical movement.

Again, this is in no way meant to degrade or diminish your watch. It's a great looking watch. It's just not going to have the same 'street-appeal' to the masses as the same with a mechanical movement.

As to whether it'll last 20 more years well, you're right it will. After all, it's a Patek, so you're just looking after it for the next generation or two... :thumbup1:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts