WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a Patek, Philippe & Co pocket watch in a Patek, Philippe & Co marked case at a "yard" sale of a deceased watchmaker. Was wondering if it is for real.

Here are the specs:
Movement Serial Number - 105477
Size - No 0
Case - Engraved No. 105477 Patek, Philippe & Co Geneva on inside flap
Case - also engraved July 20th, 1897
Case number - 218745 on the inside back cover

Attachments

·
Registered
15,314 Posts
Your best bet is to contact Patek Philippe in Geneva.
If everything is OK, they will even issue an Extract from the Archives for you:

I am not an expert on really old Patek pocket watches, but we could perhaps
offer more insight if you could provide better pictures (preferably not with flash)
of the whole engraving of the case, but especially better closeup of the caliber
and any inscriptions on the caliber.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Patek Philippe extract results

It's been a few weeks and the extract from Switzerland has arrived. The extract confirms that this watch is authentic. Attached are pictures of the watch and extract. Where would be a good place to request an estimate of its value?

Attachments

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
Sorry, we don't discuss preowned values really here.

Considering you bought it at a yard sale I'd say you found a true gem. Congrats!

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Congratulations.

That is a true treasure.

I couldn't even guess what it might be worth, but with bullet proof provenance, it must have considerable value.

Did PP service it for you or would it even be possible for a watch that age?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Understand and no worries. I was not seeking value information but instead information on "where" to find value information (websites, etc).

Yes, it was a great find. At the estate sale the owner set a price for a pile of old watchmaking tools and a watchmaker's desk. There was also a cigar box of partial watches used for spares in the pile. I was bidding on the tools and desk. I did not discover the Patek until several days later while sorting parts. I paid $2500 for the tools and desk.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Patek did not service it.

I did apply watch oil to the exposed jewels being careful to only apply an extremely small amount. I then wound it a couple of turns and it started running.

That's the extent of my comfort level with working on it. I was afraid I'd damage the hairspring or bend a pivot by going further.

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
I was not seeking value information but instead information on "where" to find value information (websites, etc).
Sorry, I have no idea so I can't help there. Honestly there's probably but a few members who will have info that for you. Be patient as they don't log in too often, but I'm sure eventually they'll chime in.

Very nice pictures of the movement. :drool: Can we get a few good pics of the dial to drool at? :thumbup1:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've already sold the tools if I had duplicates. I have an extra watchmaker's lathe that is currently on ebay.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts