WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Patek Community,

I was wondering what your thoughts are on the Calatrava 3960 vs the 5022. How do they differ in mechanics, subtle design features, prestige, resale value, wrist wear, etc.? Visually, they appear almost identical. What does the 150 anniversary watch (3960) really 'mean' in horological circles? Where does the price gap between these watches stem from?

Photos attached:
Patek.3960.5022.vsm.jpg
Direct link: http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/640/patek39605022vsm.jpg

Cheers,
King

·
Registered
15,314 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

As I am sure you already know, 5022 was were derived from 3960.
They all share manual wind caliber 215PS, have very similar dials and case shape.

3960 was made only in linted numbers AND with the additional engraved
hinged officer's case back - and therefore is thicker (9mm vs 7mm on 5022).

If you want something rare - 3960 is the ticket. I have seen them in low-to mid $20Ks.
On the other hand the watch is not extremely coveted as far as limited editions go,
since there are no complications.

If someone is 'only after the same 'look', I believe they will find 5022 a better value.
It now runs from $10 - $15k on open market and because it is only 33 mm case, I think
that the thinner 7mm 5022 looks more proportional than the small and thicker 3960.
OTOH, someone could have a totally different outlook on this and their watch would
be only the LE 3960...Its a matter of personal preference.

·
Registered
276 Posts
To me, buying a Patek means you are willing to go above and beyond. So by definition, the 3960 should be the easy choice (for me). I think the hinged back adds a touch of class...as if a Patek needs any more class.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts