WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a lot of WIS's like to travel,I would like to issue a warning to anybody intending to visit Paris. We stayed at a very nice and reasonable hotel within sight of Notre Dame and had cash removed from our in room SAFE!!!.:cursing:

We are not novices and normally don't travel with buckets of cash but this particular day we left some in the safe. The piece of s--t who ripped us off, obviously worked in the place and according to the door reader had entered our room on 2 occasions along with the Assistant Manager.

Now you think the local cops, who came to investigate, would have spoken to these pair but no they were convinced we were scamming our travel insurance!! Since when can you insure cash, not in this country. Being an ex cop, I argued with these 2 goobers and tried to get them to do at least a cursory interview, but no nothing doing.

We became suspicious when on 2 occasions our safe combo was wiped on the safe on our return from 2 outings in the day. Luckily they only "skimmed" our funds and didn't take the whole lot, and didn't take my 1910 Ingersol Trench I intended to wear on a tour of Pozieres.

So beware, The Hotel Notre Dame is a great little Hotel but has a couple of dodgy characters working there.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not a good story. Hope your trip wasn't too bad otherwise.
Wombat, we had a great time after the initial shock. Paris is brilliant, but my pick was doing the Nthn battlefilelds around Amiens. We did a day with a guide who took us to the field where my Great Uncle was wounded during WW1. This guy did his homework and with information I had, worked out where Old Walter stopped a Mauser slug and survived. France is well worth the effort.

·
Registered
323 Posts
That's very cool, and amazing that you were able to gather that much detail. Do please document it for your future generations, so they can also admire and respect the sacrifices made by your uncle and so many others. A friend at work did this, researching his Grandfather, and then put it all in a binder for his grand kids.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gator, The internet and Google are brilliant for searching as you would know. The info that's out there is unbelievable. I have the service records for both my Great Uncles for WW1 and I am now trying to search Battalion records etc. One thing that has come to light is just how normal they were. These were 2 young guys who are just like the ones now serving in the Middle East, but by pure good luck or Guardian Angels survived 3yrs on the front.

I would like to eventually do some sort of history about these guys, they were a couple of characters - - - partying in Paris, chasing girls in Egypt and freezing their butts off in the trenches but still writing letters home to Mum.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.