WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I am new to the forum and I recently became the owner of a late 60's Oyster Perpetual 1002. It's my first Rolex, and I just can't seem to put it down! :001_tt1:

The case back is marked 1.67. from what I understand that means the watch was made in the first quarter or 1967- that is, if the case back is original to the watch. The serial and model number located between the lugs aren't exactly visible anymore. I am having trouble deciphering a few of the digits with a 30x loupe.

The movement is a non-hacking 1570. I do have a question- The dial doesn't have "Superlative chronometer Officially certified" printed above the 6-o'clock marker. I posted at the rolex forum as well. I didn't get a really definitive response, but a few folks there reckon it could possibly be an early service dial. What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance! :thumbup1:

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ahh, very good possibility!

I had better luck today at reading the numbers on the case. Between the lugs at 12o'clock the model number reads 1002. The numbers at 6o'clock between the lugs read 154xxxx. According to some of the rolex databases those numbers are from 1966 production. The riveted bracelet has 3-68 stamped on it. I suspect that is the date it was made.

Time for that ol' chestnut- does the lack of certified chronometer dial make this watch less desirable or hurt it's value?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts