WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have found a rather lovely vintage watch on Etsy at a good price. The seller states that the watch has been over wound and therefore does not work. I have googled this without learning a great deal. I remember as a kid I would often over wind my watch, so I repeatedly spun the watch one way and quickly back the other way until it started ticking again.
Is this the easiest way to get the watch going as I dont really want to take it to a watchmaker who will tell me that the grommet splice is broken and a new one will cost me €100.00.
I would appreciate help and advice please. TIA.jack.

·
Administrator
7,396 Posts
hi Jack. A watch cant be 'over-wound' without literally breaking the mainspring. Even when wound fully to its limit, if the drive-train is in good nick, you can get it going again. It more likely has another drive-train problem that will likely require a complete service to get running right.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Mikey, Many thanks. I think a service here will be around €100 to €150 so the watch doesnt justify the outlay. Shame cos a really nice watch, but hey ho thats how it goes. thanks again .jack

1 - 3 of 3 Posts