WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering adding an Ostrich strap to my collection but I'm unsure as to which to chose. After looking online I am seeing two different styles of Ostrich skin.

The Ostrich leg is the most expensive but does it make the strap stiffer and less comfortable or is price the biggest determining factor in that?

·
Premium Member
2,709 Posts
Just my opinion so take it at that, but I think the first one looks like it has chicken pox.. Not a good look.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Just my opinion so take it at that, but I think the first one looks like it has chicken pox.. Not a good look.
It seems to be the most common version I'm finding. BTW I reckon those marks must be where the feathers entered the skin but it does have that chicken pox look about them. LOL

·
Registered
121 Posts
From what i know the top one is where the feathers are. They drug the bird, pluck the feathers and let the skin swell. they then kill it and skin it. I love that look, especially in classic cars and watch straps. The bottom pic has to be from the bird where there is no feathers, like the neck or leg.

·
Registered
46 Posts
From what i know the top one is where the feathers are. They drug the bird, pluck the feathers and let the skin swell. they then kill it and skin it. I love that look, especially in classic cars and watch straps. The bottom pic has to be from the bird where there is no feathers, like the neck or leg.
:eek:hmy: TMI. No "chicken pox" ostrich for me.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I actually like both but the question I am curious about is which makes the softest most comfortable strap?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have some experience wearing both types on shoes and watch bands. leather with the Feather marks (called: Quil hide or body skin) is a zillion times softer than the leg leather actually may be the softest leather of any animal skin. Ostrich skin is very flexible and both types are very strong, If you are used to thick Cow leather straps the Ostrich skin may feel weird. Its flexibility, thinness, and softness will make the strap feel more like it should be on a small dress watch instead of a large sport watch. The Leg leather is a bit thicker and harder and i heard its much more durable than reptile skins...not sure how true it is. It is a off beat choice for a watch strap for sure! To me the leg leather always looked like a cheap croc wannabe but the feather skins stands out and looks more luxurious than most any other skin (string ray or horn back are also nice). I would recommend going with a strap that has dark stitching instead of the white in the picture you posted, the white kill the feather marks which is the point of the leather.

Reactions: Luminated

·
Registered
691 Posts
I have some experience wearing both types on shoes and watch bands. leather with the Feather marks (called: Quil hide or body skin) is a zillion times softer than the leg leather actually may be the softest leather of any animal skin. Ostrich skin is very flexible and both types are very strong, If you are used to thick Cow leather straps the Ostrich skin may feel weird. Its flexibility, thinness, and softness will make the strap feel more like it should be on a small dress watch instead of a large sport watch. The Leg leather is a bit thicker and harder and i heard its much more durable than reptile skins...not sure how true it is. It is a off beat choice for a watch strap for sure! To me the leg leather always looked like a cheap croc wannabe but the feather skins stands out and looks more luxurious than most any other skin (string ray or horn back are also nice). I would recommend going with a strap that has dark stitching instead of the white in the picture you posted, the white kill the feather marks which is the point of the leather.
VERY informative and well written!

Thank you for the education, Billy D!

OkeefenokeeJoe

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes thanks loads Billy D, you've basically answered what I thought. I suppose really up to which you prefer the look of, I do like the 'kind of' croc look of the leg strap but at the moment the other appeals to me more.

Now all I need to do is find one with darker stitching because so far they've all been white.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I frequently wear a V1 on a black, full-quill ostrich strap. It's black with black stitching and is very elegant. The quill scars can be more or less noticeable depending on your color choice. Unfortunately, I don't have a good picture showing the strap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
^I've actually ordered an Ostrich grain leather one from Strapcode yesterday, it's funny but I was looking for some fatboy spring bars and noticed they had a cracking deal on a Golden Brown Ostrich grain that too good to miss.

I know I will buy a genuine one at some point in the near future but at only $19.70 it was worth seeing if the colour and style suits my M57.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.