WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, USD and about par with Canadian. MSRP $2800, about $2000 on another site. $1295 truly the deal of the day!!! They don't ship to Canada. 😥

·
Premium Member
6,205 Posts
Yes, USD and about par with Canadian. MSRP $2800, about $2000 on another site. $1295 truly the deal of the day!!! They don't ship to Canada. 
That sounds like a great deal. The cynic in me might say too good a deal....
Best of luck, let us know if you grab it.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I'm noticing a lot of the Maldives version on the gray-market lately for a fraction of their MSRP's (rubber strap version can be purchased brand new now for $1185!). I can't help but wonder if this watch just didn't sell that well for Oris and they've farmed them out. The Aquis line in general represents quite a departure from the previous designs in terms of width, thickness, bold horns, etc. I would love to see the company get back to their 47-49mm sizes and tea kettle cases.

·
Premium Member
6,205 Posts
Dave, you could be right. I don't suppose Oris will admit if it makes a model that just won't sell, but seeing more of them on the grey market could be a sign of slow sales.
I understand the Limited Edition Great Barrier Reef model sold out, but that was based on the 'classic' shape and was one of their first LE releases (at least I believe so) other than the Carlos Coste LE's which were priced at the high end of the range.
I would love to know how sales of the LE Kittywake are going. I'm just not sure another version of their ProDiver will drum up more sales, but if they did well with the LE Col Moshin maybe they thought another one would be well received.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Dave, you could be right. I don't suppose Oris will admit if it makes a model that just won't sell, but seeing more of them on the grey market could be a sign of slow sales.
I understand the Limited Edition Great Barrier Reef model sold out, but that was based on the 'classic' shape and was one of their first LE releases (at least I believe so) other than the Carlos Coste LE's which were priced at the high end of the range.
I would love to know how sales of the LE Kittywake are going. I'm just not sure another version of their ProDiver will drum up more sales, but if they did well with the LE Col Moshin maybe they thought another one would be well received.
I agree with your thoughts on this. It seems like the Great Barrier Reef model did well for Oris and they remain near the $2000+ mark even grey market. Same with the Col Moschin's. The Pro Diver Chrono's, Titan Chrono's, Carlos Coste's, and even Small Seconds models all seem to be holding up well in terms of resale. But the Maldives tend to languish in the sales forums and on Ebay. Personally, I'm just not sure this model is different enough from the standard Aquis offerings to draw much attention - and a lot more money - to itself.

Still, I'm glad to see Oris try different lineups. It's nice to see such variations in width, thickness, colors, dial layouts, etc. Look how many watch companies make just a single diver in black. Kudos to Oris for giving us choices, even if they are not always our FIRST choices.

·
Premium Member
6,205 Posts
But the Maldives tend to languish in the sales forums and on Ebay. Personally, I'm just not sure this model is different enough from the standard Aquis offerings to draw much attention - and a lot more money - to itself.

Still, I'm glad to see Oris try different lineups. It's nice to see such variations in width, thickness, colors, dial layouts, etc. Look how many watch companies make just a single diver in black. Kudos to Oris for giving us choices, even if they are not always our FIRST choices.
Exactly - I don't think Oris buyers are Rolex Sub buyers (on the whole), just tweaking one tiny detail every few years is not going to cut it at this end of the market. I know Rolex do this deliberately as many many fans think there's no way to improve on perfection each time a small change is released, and the debates rage hotly across the forums as people argue how the Sub has been ruined this time around, until a few months later when the dust settles and most are back to loving it. Although to be honest I still can't see how the new model case and bracelet work - they just don't line up and it looks weird. But I digress....

For a LE to be able to justify the price, it usually needs significant points of difference from the rest of the herd to convince you to part with your money. Just the fact it's raising money for one charity or another is not enough.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts