WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just read in another forum that Oris is right up there as a watch that depreciates significantly after purchase. Admittedly there was no supporting evidence given, so it's no more than one man's opinion.
But I'm curious, have any of you experienced this? Is Oris any better/worse than other brands?? Tag Heuer was also mentioned as a fast 'depreciator' - this one I can understand. Tag have been positioning themselves as a prestige brand for a few years now, and charging high prices (IMHO) to encourage a perception of high quality ("It costs a lot so it must be good, right...?"). This is not Tag bashing, I own one (okay, it's an old one), and I love some of their models - the Carrera is on my permanent 'will own one day' list.

But I just don't see Oris in the same way. I don't think they are pushing themselves as an overpriced luxury brand; after all their marketing slogan has been 'real watches for real people' or something similar, for some time now. I've always thought that for what you get, the prices were not ridiculous.

So what do you think? Should we all be holding off buying new, avoiding the big hit, and buying pre-owned? You could argue the same can be said for virtually all watches though, and I'm certainly not averse to picking up any pre-owned watch in great condition for the right price.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have found that buying an Oris pre-owned or grey market is the way to go. The savings is huge. But as you mentioned, it's like this with many (dare I say "most") other brands, as well. Yet having sold my fair share of Oris watches, I have found that the divers tend to hold their value much better than the other varieties. In fact, some of them will hit a bottom threshhold... and then rebound. Consider the Oris TT1 with the white lume face as an example. These regularly sell for $900. The Great Barrier Reef's, Small Seconds, and Chrono's (especially the 47mm versions) tend to do well, too. I have bought a few Small Seconds divers and resold them a few months later at $200-$300 profits. Not bad... getting "paid" to wear a watch.

Overall, I think Oris is doing a pretty good job of marketing itself - especially in publications aimed at younger/middle age men who see themselves as sporty. That's a good audience. And looking at the number of completed sales on Ebay for their divers, Oris seems to be a popular option not entirely unlike Omega. Just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
As Dave stated, it seems most brands will take a pretty good hit after the initial purchase, so I don't know that Oris is any worse than the majority of others. Again, as Dave mentioned, I have to wonder if a lot of the TT1 Divers might stabilize and eventually even start to increase in value. The TT1 Divers have a loyal following (me being one of them) and because Oris has made enough changes through the years and/or discontinued certain models, the ones that are already out there and are kept in good condition could be very desirable someday. I like a lot of the older TT1's more than what's currently being offered, so to me those are more desirable than the current lineup. Given enough people who feel this same way and it can only mean good things for the used market.

I had bought my Titan TT1 used (it was about a year old), although it looked like it had never been worn. Although I did save a lot of money buying used, my primary reason was because it had the older style "carbon look" dial and didn't have the the individual dots on the bezel for each minute, which I preferred to the newer wave dial and new busier looking bezel. To me, a perfect condition used one was worth more than a new one. The fact that I saved money getting it used was the icing on the cake.

·
Registered
292 Posts
That's right in line with what I've been noticing, too, WD. The previous TT1 line seems to be more popular to me than the new Aquis line. One caveat; I'm basing this just on my own observations such as:

* How often does one see a person touting their new Aquis on other forums? Not often.
* How many Aquis models are being listed on Ebay? Again, not many. Good or bad, Ebay is usually a good barometer of how popular a watch is. If people want it, the grey market will make it available on Ebay. Not so with the Aquis line.
* But look at the TT1's. They are hot and on average seem to retain around 50-70% of their MSRP value. Again, this is a generalization but is based on watching and selling quite a few. I contend that one seldom sees a Titan, Der Meistertaucher, or Small Seconds sell for an unexpectedly low price.
* But as Muttley and I discussed last week, the Maldives has been a dog for Oris and often goes unsold. This is not the case for many of the other LE models such as the Col Moschin, Great Barrier Reef (a very popular model), and the Carlos Coste. As WD suggested, these previous models' styling seems to be holding up well - wider, thicker, wave dial, tea kettle case. These attributes are what set the Oris divers apart.

Yet, I've also owned my fair share of Rolex and Omega divers with mixed ROI when selling them. A black, ss Submariner is a good bet. A DSSD even better. Any of the subs with gold in them are losers. And the problem is that losses on Rolex flipping is not measured in the 100's of dollars, it's nearly always in the 1000's! Omega isn't all that different. The Omega Seamasters/P.O.'s tend to be more stable in my opinion, but will still generate a $500 - $800 hit at the point of reselling if originally bought grey market; double that if they came from an AD.

So I still contend that an Oris (diver) is on par or even better than average when selling IF the buyer bought it wisely in the first place. That's the problem with a lot of people who complain that their watches depreciated too quickly. They paid too much in the first place.

·
Premium Member
6,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good points guys. I had a gut feeling that Oris was no better or worse than most brands out there. I think what I was reading (that stated Oris was a big loss when buying new) was a bit over-generalised. Let's face it, without the hard facts from the manufacturers or retailers (and who's going to give that info away?) much of what we say is based on personal experience and observations. Interesting point about using ebay as a barometer of popularity. Like it or hate it, it is a pretty good reflection of the market I think.
It may be too early to compare the Aquis line though - they haven't really been around long enough to catch on, but as was said - if the people really wanted them, the grey market would supply them.
Oh, and WD, sorry for 'dissing' carbon fibre dials (I mentioned it in my thread on the GT Chrono), I have to admit I have a soft spot for the Williams F1 with carbon fibre dial (but don't tell anyone I said so... :wink:)

·
Registered
292 Posts
You make a valid point that the Aquis line is too new to judge yet on popularity. I do think Oris may be on the right track with the upcoming cronograph version. But generally speaking, I find the Aquis models to be such a deviation from what Oris was doing before with its divers that I think they may be falling into the trap of so many other companies by producing a safe, middle-of-the-road design... that doesn't stand out well from the competition. Often the companies that can hit on an appealing design - and then market the daylights out of it - are the most successful. A Panerai looks only like a Panerai.

Nevertheless, and as I've stated before, I do appreciate that a company like Oris is so willing to submit limited edition models for those of us who want something a bit more unique. I hope the company will consider tweaking their Aquis line a bit (perhaps offering a version that is wider, with a more unique dial, etc.).

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
Oh, and WD, sorry for 'dissing' carbon fibre dials (I mentioned it in my thread on the GT Chrono), I have to admit I have a soft spot for the Williams F1 with carbon fibre dial (but don't tell anyone I said so... :wink:)
I never even noticed you made the comment about carbon dials until you pointed it out. With that said, I wouldn't have been offended anyway. I like carbon dials on some watches and some I don't. Anyway, it would be pretty boring if we all liked the same thing.

·
Premium Member
6,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
And in a strange twist of irony, I have just 'liked' your post saying we don't need to like the same things... :blink::biggrin:
Well, maybe not ironic, but I found it amusing (you know what they say about small things and small minds...)

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
The title of this post got my attention. As a new Oris owner and new to the brand, I have to say that I feel any watch purchased at retail price is going to be hard to resell at its retail price. Not to say you cant get a great deal on a grey market.

Example, I just picked up a Maldives last week and wasn't too happy with the style, for me.. Ended up selling it at the same price I purchased it at after wearing for a couple days. That being said, I have a TT1 small seconds on its way to me as we speak. I don't plan on losing on this one if it doesn't work out on the short term or long.

I don't find Oris noticeably weaker on the resale side than alot of other brands.. Just do your homework before you pay retail (that's my standard with most purchases).

·
Premium Member
6,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Just do your homework before you pay retail (that's my standard with most purchases).
Good advice for just about anything :thumbup1:

I started this thread because I honestly didn't know if Oris was better/worse/no different to other brands when it comes to resale value. I don't intend selling my Oris diver (in the foreseeable future) but I do like to know how the brand fares on the market. It would seem from the previous comments that it is not significantly worse, but not exactly a safe investment (and you'd have to be mad to think almost anything in this range would be...)

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
This is technically a guess, but I think the logic is sound. Resale on any brand that is readily available on the gray market is going to be far worse. If you pay $2,000 from an AD, how can you sell it used for more than a new gray market watch?

·
Premium Member
6,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow, I haven't seen you around here for years, Rusty. Welcome back!

BTW, you should post some pics of that Aquis.
I second that :thumbup1:. Hi Rusty.
I wish I could find an AD around here that deals in preowned - I think my collection (and not just Oris) would be somewhat bigger, and my savings somewhat smaller :biggrin:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Late to this discussion.
The local AD was already offering a good discount on new Oris's when I bought. Looking at the the gray market ones, mine at least had full manufacturer warranty +1 for registering it online and the price was $1,110. From my last look today on that auction site, a used TT3 CF dial sold at $425. New with green CF dial is $700. Gray market brings hurt.

These days except for some watches, I'd be inclined to hunt the pre-owned market over new. If one has to have a pristine watch, a $300+ service to clean and polish may be a reasonable price to pay depending on watch. Plenty of nice samples can be found and in the price point desired if patient.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I just traded in my Pro Diver Chrono actually. Picked up an Omega Planet Ocean XL. From what I've seen, Oris resale is lower than some other brands I own, but as most have stated, its all depending on how many online grey market sites carry them. If a brand has solid distribution that doesn't sell outside its AD's, or sells them for the same price, then resale holds up better... But when a watch "retails" for $4400, but can be had new grey market for $2600, well anyone that didn't buy it used or grey market gets cut off at the knees.

If resale is your concern, sticking to an in house movement brand/model is the way to go.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.