WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oris is well known for its tie ins with motor sport, most noticeably the Williams F1 link, along with special series like the RAID and RUF LEs to name but two.
Joining this lineup of Motorsport themed watches is the new Artix GT Chrono, an all black number with a distinctive tachymeter scale on the bezel. An unusual touch is the seconds counter - a horizontal redline at the 9 o'clock position, different and I think very cool.
Here are some pics from Oris, and their official release notes:

The watch is powered by an automatic mechanical movement, with chronograph function and date. The two-piece dial, with a matt black dial ring and a Tachymeter scale, is directly assembled in the case with both minute and hour counters, along with applied indexes. An interesting addition is the Oris developed retrograde mechanism, which allows the small seconds to ‘grow’ like the RPM counter in a racing car.

The striking multi-piece stainless steel case adds enduring refinement, which catches the eye. Building on the sports theme, the bezel with black ceramic minute scale rotates in both directions and features a rubber coating for “good grip” and precision.

The unique chronograph design is underlined with seconds and hours at 12 and 6 o’clock and the special, smaller seconds display at 9 o’clock. A stunning example of Oris’ passion for watch design, the polished nickel hands are finished with Superluminova inlay, which stands out against the dark backdrop of the watch.

Water-resistant to 100m, the Oris Artix GT Chronograph is finished with a rubber strap and folding clasp, a fine balance between sport and elegance - a versatile timepiece for business or leisure.

Oris Artix GT Chronograph
Ref. No. 674 7661 4434 , Ø 44 mm

• Automatic mechanical movement ETA Cal. 7750 with Chronograph function and date
  • Multi-piece stainless steel case
  • Bezel with black ceramic minute scale, rotating in both directions, with rubber coated “good grip” profile on the outside.
  • Two-piece dial; matt black dial ring with Tachymeter scale directly assembled to the case, minute and hour counters and applied indexes.
  • Special small seconds display at 9 o’clock developed by Oris
  • Polished Nickel hands with Superluminova inlay
  • Sapphire crystal domed on both sides with anti-reflective coating inside
  • Stainless steel screw-down case back, with see-through mineral glass
  • Screw-in stainless steel crown and stainless steel pushers
  • Water-resistant to 10 Bar / 100m
  • Rubber strap with folding clasp

·
Premium Member
6,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like this one, very slick and technical looking. Bet it won't be cheap.
Yeah, the ceramic bezels are all the rage at the moment. I thought that the case was DLC or PVD but when I look closer it seems the case is not black at all, just stainless steel. I wonder if that's correct? Might have to ask Oris if other pics don't surface soon....

·
Registered
278 Posts
Case looks like is SS, it's just the lighting and texture that makes it appear black. I'm liking their new race themed watches; new divers not so much.

·
Premium Member
6,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Case looks like is SS, it's just the lighting and texture that makes it appear black. I'm liking their new race themed watches; new divers not so much.
To be honest with you, I'm glad they didn't go the 'carbon-fibre' look dial with this one

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Wow! Does the seconds' red pointer / mark at 9o'clock move back n forth like a retrograde one? That wd b very cool :thumbup1:

·
Premium Member
6,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow! Does the seconds' red pointer / mark at 9o'clock move back n forth like a retrograde one? That wd b very cool :thumbup1:
It sure does:
"An interesting addition is the Oris developed retrograde mechanism"

I love the look of it, and haven't seen this use of a retrograde seconds indicator before (doesn't mean there aren't others out there though....)

·
Registered
278 Posts
I see how the retro seconds works. It's not a true retrograde mechanism, just a rotating black disk with a red spiral painted on. See below:

It's not really a "retrograde mechanism", but instead a "retrograde effect". It'll be a while before Oris releases another watch I like.

·
Premium Member
6,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hmmm.... you know what - it wouldn't put me off as long as they're not charging a retrograde price for a retrograde look.
So it doesn't actually spring back like a retrograde. I wonder how it does work? I can't see just one disc spinning around; it's hard to tell what it does do.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I am scared to find out the price. It would be expensive for sure. How did you obtain the photo of the watch ?

·
Premium Member
6,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am scared to find out the price. It would be expensive for sure. How did you obtain the photo of the watch ?
Yes, I don't think it will be on the lower price end of their models :sad:.
I have access to the Oris press releases, when I come across new models I try to post something here, even if just the official Oris release.
There's a new Culture model (Chet Baker) that I've been meaning to post, but other than the Bob Dylan model, there doesn't seem to be a lot of interest in the Culture models.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have no interest in any culture models at all. They look too bland, feminine to me. I like an aggressive design.

·
Premium Member
6,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
To each his own...

From the culture collection, I quite like the Dylan, and absolutely love the Artix complication (my avatar) but the others don't really appeal. Fortunately Oris cater to very different tastes with diving, motorsport, aviation & culture models.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all

It seems to be 2 years since the last post on these watches but here goes anyway! I am looking at buying a new watch probably on the gray market due to the signifcant savings and have pretty much decided on an Oris Artix GT Chrono

01 674 7661 4154-07 8 22 85 - Oris Artix GT Chronograph - Oris Artix GT - Motor Sport - Collection - Oris - Purely mechanical Swiss watches.
01 674 7661 4434-07 8 22 85 - Oris Artix GT Chronograph - Oris Artix GT - Motor Sport - Collection - Oris - Purely mechanical Swiss watches.

First question to put out to you experts is which in your opinions would be a nicer looking watch? The black bezel or the silver bezel?

Second question is should I be looking at Tags as well? The only ones I like which I can afford are the aquaracer chronos. In "real life" I just cant seem to think that they look a bit plain though vs the Oris?

Aside from looks, is Oris up there with Tag? I am buying this as a long term purchase, minimum of 10 years and am 38. I love Tag but the really sexy chronos in my opinion are really expensive.

Finally, while browsing online I was convinced I should save for a Omega Seamaster 300 but same thing, very expensive and when I saw one in real life it didnt overly impress me lookswise for what they cost.

Very confused, although my favourite is currently the Oris with the black face, just wanted some expert advice as to whether this is a good choice or not?

Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
6,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I completely agree with the black bezel Oris; I find the silver ring on the other model a bit distracting. I'm surprised you're looking at the Tag aquaracer, wouldn't a Carrera be more of a closer match? But I suspect the price is higher (I don't know the price of the Oris GT sorry).

Having said that, I think the Oris is probably better value for money as you're not subsidising the huge marketing/advertising budget of TAG, plus the redline seconds counter looks cool :thumbup1:.
My vote's for the Oris, but being an Oris owner and fan, I would say that... :laugh:.
Whichever you choose it won't be a bad choice - go for whatever appeals to you the most, just be sure to post pics!
Edit - oh, and to answer your other question, the 'fit and finish' of my Oris diver looks and feels as good as my Breitling - the build quality is excellent from what I've seen.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts