WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured I'd put this here, only because Costco sells other brands like Baume & Mercier, Tag, Raymond Weil, Omega, and others. This just happens to be about Oris.

A friend of mine, who lives in the Bay area, said he saw the Williams F1 in his local Costco. I figured I'd go to my local store to check it out.

What they had at my local Costco was a TT1 Diver, but in the display box for a Williams F1; the one that looks like a tire.

I've no idea what kind of display boxes the other brands use, but it would appear as though Costco doesn't know what they're doing...

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Of course, they don't.

Do as I do and do your research at home and go to the store armed with the information you need to make a smart purchase.

You might get an accurate answer about a particualar watch like, say, how long it's been in stock, but you're more likely to get a discourse on the zeroth law of thermodynamics from a sales clerk than you are to get an accurate answer regarding watch specifications.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
What he said: for Costco you need to know what your looking for or as I do, see a watch there, then go do the research; then make your decision. Here in the central valley at one of the Costcos they have an Oris Chrono Diver on the rubber strap. My friend was there buying a Breitling and I tried the Oris on...NICE.

It's the only place I'll buy a watch anymore...to me the warranty alone is worth it.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Costco is a great place to get a watch.

I've seen watches get placed in the wrong box in the display case, but they don't mess around then it is time to buy. While the staff has no idea about anything regarding any of the watches, I'm am sure they will get you a fresh one from the high value cage that will be the one you wanted. They will even have you verify and sign that you indeed got what you purchased.

In Costco I trust.

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wasn't looking to buy; I've already got the Williams. I just thought it was funny that the diver was displayed in the F1 box. Doesn't it have its' own box?

·
Registered
309 Posts
I wasn't looking to buy; I've already got the Williams. I just thought it was funny that the diver was displayed in the F1 box. Doesn't it have its' own box?
The club stores have a plethora of empty boxes. Since they don't bag anything, I'm sure recycling what ever they have is priority # 1 before presentation.

In my weak attempt to high jack your thread, I did see a Ti Wenger @ Sam's today for about $100. Looked less than 40 mm, small for my tastes. But I do plan on swinging by there tomorrow again to get a chance to try it on.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Assuming IL is for Illinois, here they are. My closest is 30min. away. The have online too, if your a member.

Illinois
Bedford Park
Bloomingdale
Chicago (Lincoln Park)
Glenview
Lake in the Hills
Lake Zurich
Mount Prospect
Naperville
Niles
Oak Brook
Orland Park
Schaumburg

·
Registered
881 Posts
Steve- of course. Look at these things as an opportunity to take advantage of things that you can point out and receive a discount for things most people are unlikely to even notice. I can tell you more than a few stories of mispriced watches that a less than compemtent super store manager have let go for a steal.:thumbup1::thumbup1:

·
Registered
431 Posts
Assuming IL is for Illinois, here they are. My closest is 30min. away. The have online too, if your a member.

Illinois
Bedford Park
Bloomingdale
Chicago (Lincoln Park)
Glenview
Lake in the Hills
Lake Zurich
Mount Prospect
Naperville
Niles
Oak Brook
Orland Park
Schaumburg
I am 100 miles south of the city and the burbs. =( I did not know you could buy online. Have any of you done that? Is the selection as good?

Best Regards,

Thomas Carey

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Online is usually more consistant than in store, however, its a hunt. You have to check back on a regular basis to check the inventory. Just before X-mas they had a lot of Breitlings as an example. The online stuff is also reflect the higher end more. In a store you might see only half a dozen "luxury" watches vs. online which will have many more.

You have to be a member also. We shop the stores once a month for "supplies".

Yes I have ordered online from them and the return policy is the same except you can take it to a store rather than send it back if you dislike the item.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I'll second bczolone, Costco's each have their own buying staff. So, you'll see pieces in some of the stores that you will not find on their website. If you happen to live close to a Costco in a "high end" or affluent location there will be more high end models. Thus, they tailor the stock to the warehouse location.

The online selection is pretty small but and is more stable/available.

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Costco had an AirKing for sale online recently.....I am not sure why Rolex would let that happen.
They may not have.

For a while, they were carrying our guitars. Well, they're not one of our authorized dealers, but they still had them. Not sure how they got them; maybe buying them from someone going out of business, etc...

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
They may not have.

For a while, they were carrying our guitars. Well, they're not one of our authorized dealers, but they still had them. Not sure how they got them; maybe buying them from someone going out of business, etc...
I would not be surprised at all if COSCO did not have a slew of buyers out looking for merchandise all the time. My brother used to work for a large jewelry store in Atlanta, (wish he still did not that I am a WIS) and they had buyers looking for other stores going out of business all over the US. They did have merchandise that they got right from distributors but they would send their own buyers out to stores all over the US and bid on taking all the stock. With those way below distributor costs acquisitions, they were able to have huge savings on items.

I believe COSCO most likely does the same thing however in an even much larger way. As far as the guitars go, I may would buy a low end Yamaha from them as a starter for someone but a Taylor, no way. That would have to come from a reputable dealer that understands and deals with that level instrument every day. Any savings you think you may be getting would mean nothing in the event of a problem. In essence, even though new in the box it would be the same as buying one used. Nothing wrong with used if that is what you are looking for but you don't want to think new, when warranty wise (no real warranty as not an authorized dealer) it would be the same as used.

Off this topic, hey Steve, been missing you on the WTF thread!:lol:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts