WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my first and on initial inspection it seems well made (even though it's thin for an automatic, it's not light) and attractive. Until coming here I hadn't even heard of them before. Anyway for a 21 jewel automatic I figured it was worth the $30 price to check it out. Now that I have seen and worn one I am interested in people's opinions. Any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
16,558 Posts
I place them just ahead of Invicta. Speaking purely from personal experience only, they're practically equal in quality, with Invictas having more weight but Orients probably being better-built overall. And Orient has a vastly superior reputation as far as Customer Service is concerned. I probably won't get another Orient (money is tight right now) but I'm by no means sorry I bought the one I did.

Reactions: muttley

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
I've had a couple, and had no problems with them at all. Although I don't have plans to get another, it won't surprise me if that changes. They seem to be quite a good value, and I was very surprised how nice mine were. I don't mean for that to sound like they are only nice considering the price; I have had watches for which I paid quite a bit more, and weren't as nice!

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
I have 3, with a fourth on the way. Orient makes their own movements and they are reasonably priced, plus so far, they seem well built. Considering that a lot of other watch makers don't actually make the movement and the case, IMHO, the fact that Orient does, makes them somewhat unique. Are they equivalent to a $20,000 Swiss watch, nope. Though I'd say they would fall in line with an Accutron.

As for timekeeping, I'm not a seconds per day freak. I see time in weeks, and at most, my Orients are just a few minutes fast or slow, no better or no worse than my Accutron or Hammie.

Of my Orients, the Orient Star is my favorite mainly due the retrograde day dial, but the dial of the GMT always brings it back to my wrist.

If you look around, you CAN find great deals on Orient watches at several well know sites.

Constellation GMT

Orient Star Retorgrade

Sapphire Sky

·
Registered
656 Posts
I place them just ahead of Invicta. Speaking purely from personal experience only, they're practically equal in quality, with Invictas having more weight but Orients probably being better-built overall. And Orient has a vastly superior reputation as far as Customer Service is concerned. I probably won't get another Orient (money is tight right now) but I'm by no means sorry I bought the one I did.

Orient is a manufacturer, and produces in-house movements. Something hat has never been said of Invicta. Anyone can choose to like Orient or not, but they don't belong in a grouping with Invicta.

·
Super Moderator
16,558 Posts
Yes, I realize Orient is a true manufacture and I don't believe anyone is fooled into thinking Invicta is trying to be something even close to that.
But you must agree that they are equal when it comes to offering models that are affordable to someone even on the tightest of budgets.

·
Super Moderator
16,558 Posts
You have your experience with Orient vs. Invicta and I have mine. I can only state for sure what I have experienced and my experiences tip the scale in favor of Invicta. I'm sure I'll think differently as soon as one of the Vics breaks, but that day ain't here yet!

Let's just agree that we're going to disagree and leave it at that. :001_smile:

·
Registered
515 Posts
I have one coming in for X-Mas...:wink:

Orient Orange Ray Automatic Dive Watch CEM6500AM...

Looking fwd to slapping an orange nato strap on it too...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.