WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friends,

First off let me explain that the following interest evolved from my pursuit of Speedmaster ownership, and consequently, a greater appreciation for Omega's entire line of watches. I acknowledge that the Planet Ocean is a different beast than the Speedmaster and other pieces you may hold dear, and though I am asking for subjective responses, I'd appreciate it if replies would refrain from suggesting other watches. I have tried on a Planet Ocean and my heart is set on a variation of this model.

So onto my question: The Planet Ocean is now offered with an orange bezel. I think I may have also seen models with an orange strap but that much orange might be too bold of a step for my tastes. Simply put, is this much bright color on a watch, for lack of a better word, fashionable? How well have these orange variants been by received by the Omega fans of the forum? How do members feel about the inclusion of bold colors on their high end watches? In what social situations is this style acceptable?

Of course, I have owned and worn seikos and gshocks with no reservations about bold color. Still, I have never owed an Omega before and I would hate to project any arrogance or tastelessness about myself. Sorry if it seems like a silly question, but I'd hate to regret a serious purchase.

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
The first thing you need to know is that BLACK & ORANGE rule!!!

The second thing is that you can order that watch with the same strap, orange numbers on the dial but the black bezel. This still gives you a hint of bold color without the constant doubt that you went over the top. IMO a dive watch should be bold so you can never have too much orange. If you do plan to wear it more as an every day casual watch then the black bezel might be your best bet.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The first thing you need to know is that BLACK & ORANGE rule!!!

The second thing is that you can order that watch with the same strap, orange numbers on the dial but the black bezel. This still gives you a hint of bold color without the constant doubt that you went over the top. IMO a dive watch should be bold so you can never have too much orange. If you do plan to wear it more as an every day casual watch then the black bezel might be your best bet.
That sounds like a very promising alternative. How would you perceive this watch in a professional environment? Too much? Submariners are plentiful where I work, but the Rolex name seems to carry added social acceptance.

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
That sounds like a very promising alternative. How would you perceive this watch in a professional environment? Too much? Submariners are plentiful where I work, but the Rolex name seems to carry added social acceptance.
I worked with a guy who wore an orange bezel PO at a company where the dress code was suit & tie. The only time it looked right was when he combined a black suit with a white shirt and an orange tie. I also have a small issue with bracelets on dress watches, but that's me. Now if you're only wearing shirt & tie and not a full suit you could go with anything. However, IMO (which leans to the stricter side of the definition of a dress watch) a PO in any of it's incarnations doesn't belong with dress clothes - the same goes for the Sub. (EDIT: I'm temporarily banning anyone who uses the lame "James Bond" argument. :sneaky2:) There will be a ton of people who say "wear what you like, it's all good" but I don't agree with that. By that thinking you could wear Crocs with a suit:

I'm sure there would be a few who think that's acceptable. Granted, a dive watch isn't as extreme of a choice as the above example but it still is breaking the gentleman's code of conduct and appearance.

To me, a true man realizes that certain occasions call for appropriate attire, down to the watch and other accessories. If your work place is business casual then go for it, but if it's suit and tie leave the PO's, Subs, Doxas, and all other tool watches home in favor of a simple dress watch on a strap that slides under a cuff easily.

If you want a cool watch that's still got a little more pizzazz than the usual bland white or silver dialed dress watch check out Wombat's Perrelet. They're cool looking watches with a little size to them and some excellent dials. If you're still set on buying a PO that's cool too, but check into getting a decent but inexpensive vintage dress watch for more formal occasions. Plenty of nice ones can be had in the $300 - $600 range even after a service is done.

·
Banned
778 Posts
Not so much "is this a good colour or colour combination" but "will it last the test of time"?

In my view the answer is "no". If you want something that people will appreciate (in terms of its look) over a long period of time then any spin on traditional will never see you go far wrong.

I don't say this as an expert in watches - but in general. I could cite examples in furniture, clothes, decoration, shoes etc. Trends come and go but over the long, long periods of time we often come back full circle to what was considered good taste. I think Orange and Black is fashionable - but not classic (and not classic taste in watches - sorry).

That's my opinion - happy to be shot down by others disaproval of my taste!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I faced this dilemma a year or so ago and went with the black bezel/orange numbers combo. I'm not sure where you work, but I consider myself to be in a professional environment (law firm) and frequently wear my PO with a suit :)ohmy:).

As an alternative, you can always buy one color and pick up the other color bezel from Otto Frei.

Good luck with your choice!

·
Registered
177 Posts
I've always thought there's a little bit of snobbery when it comes to watches and suits IMO. You dont have to wear a high end watch with a suit.
The Omega PO is a great watch, but as well as being a smart professional watch, its actually designed as a sports watch. So the orange bezel and orange strap looks more at home on the beach than under a shirt cuff.
It could be contruded as a fashionable colour, and as we all know fashions change, so I say forget the orange strap option, but I think the orange bezel and black dial will stand the test of time ?.
But if you want a Planet Ocean solely as a professional watch then i'd go for the black bezel.

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
With shifting fashion trends there really is no real dress code with watch styles/types, IMO. Divers, chronographs, fliegers, all are in play as far as I am concerned. That said, anything more than business casual I find myself gravitating to one of my vintage pieces, usually on a strap. Bracelets are definitely an attention getter and most people to gravitate towards them over straps ('cept for crazy vintage collectors:001_tt2:). I would recommend purchasing the watch with the bracelet and adding a strap down the line as this will likely be a cheaper path in the long run (bracelets are notoriously expensive after purchase).

As for the color, I don't think orange will stand up over time, but I think you could do a lot worse than an orange numeral/black bezel combo.

Reactions: Omega Steve

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The number of responses this thread has received is pleasantly surprising; thank you, everyone.

Professional for me is typically business casual: shirt and tie. I'm sorry my question was a little misleading in that respect. I wouldn't intend to wear a sport watch with a full suit. The pairing of a suit with a watch of that size would frustrate me.

The general consensus seems to be that the bright orange color will not withstand the test of time? Still, I think I would prefer this watch on the stock strap with orange stitching versus the bracelet, but maybe avoid the orange bezel. I will need to look around some for this particular variation.

·
Banned
28,405 Posts

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
Correct! I agree with the opinions in your entire post but quoted this for emphasis. I've seen some fantastic inexpensive watches that dressed up nicely on a strap.
Agree 100%.. Here's my 'standard' go-to dress watch, and it cost me less than $500. In fact it's one of my least expensive watches in my collection. Yet looks like it's worth 10's of thousands on the wrist..

As for the color, I don't think orange will stand up over time, but I think you could do a lot worse than an orange numeral/black bezel combo.
Many people have said this here in the thread, as well as elsewhere. But I have to say, why do people think it won't stand up to time? And what are we defining as that breaking point in time? 5 years? 10? 20? 100? The orange Planet Ocean has been around for what, 5, 6 maybe 7 years now? And before that several other brands had orange accent sport watches. I'd venture to say orange accented sport watches have been around a good 10-15 years. In fact wasn't the original Proplof (sp?) orange accented? What was that, 30+ years ago?

And if anything I think they've become more popular now than they were before. This is kind of like the "big watch (44-45mm) trend" statement. Watches brands have been making these "big watches" now for 10 years. At some point it's no longer a trend and is now a standard. Honestly, I think both are true here. I agree the orange is NOT the best choice for a suit (though I'll admit I wore my orange-bezeled PO with a suit more than once when I owned it), but I certainly don't see anything that'll keep it form being an accepted and 'normal' sport watch 10 or 20 years down the road..

·
Registered
520 Posts
Agree 100%.. Here's my 'standard' go-to dress watch, and it cost me less than $500. In fact it's one of my least expensive watches in my collection. Yet looks like it's worth 10's of thousands on the wrist..

Many people have said this here in the thread, as well as elsewhere. But I have to say, why do people think it won't stand up to time? And what are we defining as that breaking point in time? 5 years? 10? 20? 100? The orange Planet Ocean has been around for what, 5, 6 maybe 7 years now? And before that several other brands had orange accent sport watches. I'd venture to say orange accented sport watches have been around a good 10-15 years. In fact wasn't the original Proplof (sp?) orange accented? What was that, 30+ years ago?

And if anything I think they've become more popular now than they were before. This is kind of like the "big watch (44-45mm) trend" statement. Watches brands have been making these "big watches" now for 10 years. At some point it's no longer a trend and is now a standard. Honestly, I think both are true here. I agree the orange is NOT the best choice for a suit (though I'll admit I wore my orange-bezeled PO with a suit more than once when I owned it), but I certainly don't see anything that'll keep it form being an accepted and 'normal' sport watch 10 or 20 years down the road..
I don't know, Disco lasted for over 10 years, and it still fell out of fashion! :001_tt2:

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
I love that watch!! I was like you and weas worried that the orange would date, so ended up going with the standard black bezel watch. No regrets, it is a keeper. But one day I do plan on satisfying my orange PO crush with a pre-owned one of these when the planets align:

Oh, and since Dennis mentioned it, here is my Perrelet A1002/2 :001_tt2:

·
Super Moderator
15,649 Posts
Hang with professional divers and get a job in a scuba shop. I guarantee you'll NEVER be out of style. :biggrin:

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Risking the wrath of Dennis, I still say this is a classy watch. Admittedly, I do wear my SMP 2531.80 with any combination of clothes. I also admit to shying away from the orange PO thinking it would be large and bold to fit under dress shirts.

I don't often wear my Ball EH Trieste while working as it doesn't fit under many dress shirt cuffs. That said, I am shirt and tie along with a white lab coat since I work in a clinical setting seeing patients. I actually enjoy having a chronograph available for time dependent activities. I would wear the Trieste most of the time if it looked a little less 'tool-like' and fit under cuffs. I guess I am just not the highest class guy on WTF:)

Jeff

1 - 20 of 26 Posts